HP/Aruba Managed Switch firmware... or not...

Reaction score
Ahhhh-- the Enterprise class POE switch deals on ebay are awesome as corporations do upgrades.

I bought an Aruba 2530 24 port gigabit switch. and wanted to get it to the newest firmware. Apparently, HPE is having login issues...OR... they are no longer allowing non-corporate/business accounts to download or even search for firmware....

These Reddit posts reflect my experience trying to do something that should be simple...

1716844198162.png

firmware searches return this:
1716844879365.png

Last edited:

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you simple need to login into aruba help desk and download your firmware
yes you have to register as company, but to my knowledge you can simple select any company you want.

HPE is not cisco or nortel.
they offer REAL lifetime warranty and give firmware to anyone
you can even download the old HP firmwares for the 10-20y old stuff.

Screenshot 2024-05-27 232517.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
what are you talking about.. you simple need to login into aruba help desk and download your firmware

HPE is not cisco or nortel.
they offer REAL lifetime warranty and give firmware to anyone
you can even download the old HP firmwares for the 10-20y old stuff.

yes you have to register as company, but to my knowledge you can simple select any company you want.

View attachment 195298
That is EXACTLY what I need! My gmail account with HPE, which is ~4 years old, does not work, will not authenticate with my password, is not locked out, and has had 5 password resets trying to resolve this.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
then gmail is blocked , understandable

here the firmware

remember to look into the PDF and check your firmware !
you need a minimum firmware to update the new one,
if yours too old, then need to update to minimum first !! DO NOT UPDATE IF YOU ARE BELOW MINIMUM

just update ONE space, if it fails you still have the other to boot !

Reaction score
then gmail is blocked , understandable

here the firmware

remember to look into the PDF and check your firmware !
you need a minimum firmware to update the new one,
if yours too old, then need to update to minimum first !! DO NOT UPDATE IF YOU ARE BELOW MINIMUM

just update ONE space, if it fails you still have the other to boot !

I tried to make another account with a different email I have with a different domain...
1716847287815.png

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
here in germany they use some kind of database for the companies.
so they show you the ones they know
they had the one i choose in their database and it skipped the evaluation
:lmao:

Reaction score
here in germany they use some kind of database for the companies.
so they show you the ones they know
they had the one i choose in their database and it skipped the evaluation
:lmao:
Normally, it seems that anything EU is more difficult.... Thanks for the retrieval of those files! :cool: :headbang:

Reaction score
An update... HPE seems to be doing what Dahua does--- "talk to your vendor" is the reply, and the "end customer" is not something they give a shit about.

1716962371154.png

Now my account is locked, and I have NO permission to even request an unlock.

1716962719949.png

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
This is the same switch that I have and use, got it a few years ago from FB marketplace.

I did upgrade the firmware to the latest at the time but haven’t checked back since. The firmware on my switch has a pseudo HP and Aruba firmware on where you can switch between the 2.

if you want the old firmware files then I should have them saved somewhere?

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Pseudo ?
These switches have two firmware slots. If you updated one slot and it fails, you still be able to boot the other slot.

The 2530 series were firstly sold under HPE brand, then under Aruba. When you have HPE and Aruba firmware it simply means you updated only one slot and the other has a really old firmware.

Some of the old firmwares need internet explorer with old java versions on some models if you want to use the webinterface, so its better to use new firmware. You dont need old ones.

The 2530 series is still good, but most companies change them because they dont have SFP+. Its unable to have 10G Uplink.

Many people hate HPE/Aruba. HPE switches have lifetime warranty and are silent compared to cisco etc. So for private use they are quite nice.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I meant that after I upgraded the firmware I get the option to switch views between the old HP and the new Aruba.

I know all about the dual firmware.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I love how the docs state silent fan, mine was too noisy in the summer months so I added 28ohm resistors in series with each fan to take away the whiney top edge fan noise.

I’ve just checked and I have copies of YA_16_06_0006 and YA_16_10_0021 firmware files

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you can download all old firmwares on their website.

the device has a silent fan, compared to other competitors.

if you put it under your bed, yes...

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe there are diff iterations/revisions? Mine is in my loft and in the dead of night during summer when the fans would ramp up their speed I could hear them which is why I 'modded' them.

I've just download the latest for my switch just now which I've attached, just rename it taking away the .zip extension as the site wouldn't let me upload it with the .swi extension.

NOTE * Actually check you model number, mine is HP 2530-24G-PoEP Switch (J9773A) which requires the YA firmware, don't want you bricking anything :)

Last edited: