HP COMPAQ 6300 Core i3 3220 suitable for a BI server??

Tirglas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hi:)

looking to get BI setup in a property i'm moving into, i was considering using my unraid server with window 10 running as a VM.

Problem is I can't get windows 10 for less than circa £150, so after reading some threads on here it got me thinking, i'm probably best off buying a standalone system, which is cheaper and less like to break than a VM on unraid.

Would the above spec be sufficient to run 4-6 cameras? i'd use it exclusively as a BI server so no other workload.

the model i've been looking at is in the link below, comes with windows 8.1 and official licence, can i get a free upgrade to windows 10 still? or should i be looking for windows 7 pro?? or is there any other models for around that price i should consider?

HP COMPAQ 6300 PRO SFF Core i3 3220 @ 3.30GHz 8GB 500GB DVD-RW WIN8.1 Pro 64 BIT | eBay

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
hi:)

looking to get BI setup in a property i'm moving into, i was considering using my unraid server with window 10 running as a VM.

Problem is I can't get windows 10 for less than circa £150, so after reading some threads on here it got me thinking.

Would the above spec be sufficient to run 4-6 cameras? i'd use it exclusively as a BI server so no other workload.

the model i've been looking at is in the link below, comes with windows 8.1 and official licence, can i get a free upgrade to windows 10 still? or should i be looking for windows 7 pro?? or is there any other models for around that price i should consider?

HP COMPAQ 6300 PRO SFF Core i3 3220 @ 3.30GHz 8GB 500GB DVD-RW WIN8.1 Pro 64 BIT | eBay
depends on camera resolution and frame rate...
The i5 systems of the same generation would be better and give you more headroom...
you can still upgrade to 10 for free Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Tirglas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i would be using 2-4mp cameras, how many cameras could an i3 handle? does the amount of ram make a big difference?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i would be using 2-4mp cameras, how many cameras could an i3 handle? does the amount of ram make a big difference?
if you use 2mp you should be ok..it varies..many variables...the i5 is cheap enough...

TIM0089

n3wb
Reaction score
@fenderman I have a Windows 7 Pro COA but it is not installed in the hard disk. Will I still be able to use the Windows 10 for assistive users? How do I go about doing that? I found another url from where I can create an ISO. But I don't know how to specify that I am a user of assistive technologies and get the free version after installing Windows 10.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman I have a Windows 7 Pro COA but it is not installed in the hard disk. Will I still be able to use the Windows 10 for assistive users? How do I go about doing that? I found another url from where I can create an ISO. But I don't know how to specify that I am a user of assistive technologies and get the free version after installing Windows 10.
You should be able to simply install 10 using the 7 key...download the media creation tool from microsoft, no other site.