HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF NVMe SSD screw problem

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought an HP PC for BI and will transfer the W10 install from the existing 1TB HDD to a motherboard mounted M2 2280 SSD, compact size and faster NVMe data transfer versus slower 6 Gbits/sec SATA3 is appealing. I will then remove the 1TB drive for something(s) bigger, but I need a screw as there was no existing mobo mounted SSD. So I have no screw.

After slotting in a SSD into the HP motherboard's M.2 socket it will need to be secured with a screw at the opposite end. On my HP PC, "NUT5" mobo screw has a small hole in the middle, presumably to take a screw to secure a SSD, but it's mighty small. The shank of a 1.5mm drill just fits in the hole. Is this M2, smaller or what?

Rather than jump in with an opinion, have you advice based on being faced with this similar situation?
What size of screw?
Do I need to remove the existing mobo fixing with something else, which seems unlikely?
Do I need a stand-off, which also seems unlikely?

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
M2 female thread minor diameter is ~1.6mm so if 1.5mm drill just fits then likely it is M2.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, I've ordered some M2 screws.
Not sure where you live other than listing UK, but such screws are usually available at a hardware store, home improvement store, or fleet/farm type store.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
M2 x 3mm screws arrived and one duly employed to secure my M2 2280 SSD. There's no need for an extra stand-off with this computer's M2 socket.
M2 screws are small, I used a short length of plastic tube over the screwdriver and screw.

As frequently is often the case, shopping online (eBay) saves time hunting for items at the local DIY store. I was able to buy M2 screws identified as being specific for what I needed. They have a suitably sized pan head.