HTTPS certs.

LeeH

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why does IE and Firefox have a fit when you connect over https? Are the Hik certs out of date? No good? :sick:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its because you not have not paid/signed certs installed on the camera.. the only way you dont get a web browser to throw a fit over your cert is to buy a cert for each device (certs are tied to hostname/ip) and install it on there every year when it expires.

Its not worth it, your cameras are not running an online eCommerce site.. so just click through the warning, it is still encrypted.

LeeH

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great thanks.

While you're here.....:D.....I have set up a VPN on my NAS and can connect fine. How do I connect to my cams UI without the ports been open? I'm a beginner...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
same way you do when your on your Wifi.. when VPN is connected everything on your LAN should be avilable on there internal IP's

LeeH

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But I connect by 'me.ddns.net:port number'

I end up at my NAS UI unless I use the cam's https port. :mad-new:

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no you dont, you use me.ddns.net to connect to your VPN from outside your network, you use something like 192.168.1.100 to connect to your camera when your on your local network.

LeeH

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought the idea was to connect from outside my LAN via a VPN? I cannot use my LAN IP from outside obvioulsy and using a VPN in my LAN I presume is pointless.

If I connect using my DDNS I end up in my NAS UI via the VPN as thats where the VPN server is. It defaults to my NAS ports and I cannot access my IP cams UI via my NAS.

Unless the address is me.ddns.net/my internal IP?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A VPN Is a secure tunnel INSIDE your network.. it allows remote devices to make local connections. The only thing outside your LAN is the VPN Server.. once your establish the link your on the local network just like you plugged into your local switch.

everything on the network should be accessible once the VPN is connected.. remote desktops, printers, cameras, file servers, everything! think of a VPN link as a WiFi/Network port connection, but instead of stringing a thousand miles of network cable you just transit the internet instead.

I am connected to my Work VPN right now from my home, and every machine in the office is avilable to me just as if I was sitting at my desk downtown.

LeeH

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank for your patients nary but I'm missing something fundamental.

I have a Synology NAS which I have have installed the VPN server app, configured and connectd to on my phone. It says VPN in a box. Its connected, simples.

What do I do now to access my cams UI from the WAN?

At the moment I use a free DDNS:port number. e.g.. 4000 for the NAS UI, 5001 for cam 1 5002 for cam 2 and so on. (made up port numbers)

I have no idea how to get to any of the above without the ports been forwarded on my router which you say us very bad. (its me reading your post that has prompted me setting up a VPN.)

Cheers.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What do you type into your browser on your computer right now to see the cameras? thats going to be what you type into your phone on VPN.. I highly doubt you type in http://my.ddns.com:port to view your cameras locally

LeeH

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LAN - 192.168.1.XXX:cams http port number.

WAN - myname.ddns.net:camera's https port number.

I never meant to suggest I use the DDNS to access them over my LAN.

I thought the VPN was a secure 'tunnel' from the device outside my LAN to my LAN where the Synology VPN server is on my NAS. (obviously not)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
actually it is, but obviously your brain is stuck on something or were just not reaching the same level.. connect your VPN, then use 192.168.1.XXX should work.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
glad you finally got your head around it, as you now see it works so much better than port forwarding, if you use an app for viewing your cameras you dont have to reconfigure it or have separate profiles for inside and outside..

Its so simple to setup and so easy to use, along with it being so much more secure than port forwarding its hard to grasp why port forwarding is the go to solution for remote access... vpn was designed for this kind of stuff.