Huisun bites the dust.

TrailRider

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Huisun HS-SCB415ip-V10 that seems to have died. It is powered with 12V directly and not POE. It worked great for 8 months, then when the weather turned cold, it just died, no start up initialization and can't ping it. I have seen where these seem to be high failure units, so does any know of a reliable camera that comes close to this one in performance and doesn't cost $500. When it was working I could see someone at the end of the drive 400 feet away with the built in IR, and the 50MM zoom made ID nearly possible.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
so does any know of a reliable camera that comes close to this one in performance and doesn't cost $500.
there is not a quality 60mm PTZ to be had for under $500; fixed cameras have one moving part; IR Cut Filter.. pretty easy to make reliable and they dont use much power.

when you start attaching multiple motors to a device the complexity goes up dramatically; chances of failure on a camera with a ton of moving parts is very high.. While cheeping out on fixed cameras can be a boon to your wallet, doing the same with PTZ's will end up hurting your wallet.

Fixed Camera is like a bicycle and a PTZ is like a car; when you see someone selling a car for the same price as a bicycle you should really question how long that car will last.

Either use more fixed cameras and give up on the PTZ Game ($500 can buy you alot of fixed cameras); or pay to play..

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Fixed Camera is like a bicycle and a PTZ is like a car; when you see someone selling a car for the same price as a bicycle you should really question how long that car will last.
Don't know how to better say it! Well done!

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
there is not a quality 60mm PTZ to be had for under $500; fixed cameras have one moving part; IR Cut Filter.. pretty easy to make reliable and they dont use much power.

when you start attaching multiple motors to a device the complexity goes up dramatically; chances of failure on a camera with a ton of moving parts is very high.. While cheeping out on fixed cameras can be a boon to your wallet, doing the same with PTZ's will end up hurting your wallet.

Either use more fixed cameras and give up on the PTZ Game ($500 can buy you alot of fixed cameras); or pay to play..
While I get what you're saying; more parts = more things that can fail...I'm not so sure you can exactly compare it to a bicycle and car. We're really not adding "a ton of moving parts" to the equation. Only thing added here is a pan/tilt motor, which is not very expensive. Guess you can argue a lens motor too when comparing to a fixed lens cam, but still not a ton of moving parts. The price is also 3 times (or greater) the amount of a fixed cam. You can get a 2mp fixed cam in the $50 range...Most of us paid $150 to $200 for these PTZ cams. Given how cheap simple motors are, this should be more than enough to add a reliable motor...

I simply can't see where it would take some $500 or greater to create a reliable pan/tilt head and zoom motor; especially considering how little weight these motors have to carry. I have to believe that paying over $500 for a motor carrying such light weight is simply paying for a brand name (and largely the owner's of the brand name)....

From what I've seen, most of the problems we've been dealing with is related to the power supply and firmware, rather than pan/tilt motor failures. As such, we would still be dealing with a lot of these same issues even if these were fixed units rather than PTZ.

No doubt there is a quality problem somewhere with these units that needs improving, but I don't believe the "moving parts" that make it PTZ are the cause.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
motorized lens, motorized focus, motorized aperture, and two high accuracy and high speed stepper motors that drive belts to gear up speed.. There's 5 electronic motors right there; The Huisun drifts, all cheap PTZ's drift and loose orientation because the motors are so damn cheap.. Cant trigger something by a motion sensor or another camera if after a few dozen triggers its looking in an entirely different direction than desired.. The Huisun MiniPTZ could not even be used for much other than a fixed camera with as slow as it moved.

power supplies are failing very well could be due to motors driving too much current and generating too much heat/stress; obviously they dont have a decently educated electrical engineer in house.. when your diving motors the power driving becomes more electronically complex or someone will move a motor by hand and fry your electronics.

My Black Face PTZ has german made belts and Japanese made motors/caps/and ccd; you cant gather up these raw components for the price you want a PTZ for; let alone manufacturer it.. Software Developers, R&D and QA also dont come free either.. unless steal code/designs and make your customers work out the bugs for you.

You cant get a decent 2MP Fixed cam for $50, you can get a cheap piece of junk for $50; you can get a decent one for $100-$200.. the price you want a decent PTZ for.

The motors in the Huisun MiniPTZ are cheap mass produced motors for kids toy's and other junk, anything they put em in becomes junk just by inclusion.

Last edited:

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
well I have to say mine is still bang on, nearly 2 years on working daily.

The build quality is far from cheap.
but he if your install was not 100% then you can get issues, the same with any external camera, I've replaced many failed install camera ( the worst fitted by ADT) the normal failure point is seals not sealed or seatEd correctly allowing moisture to build inside.