I cannot connect to my IP camera Dahua IPC-HFW1235S-W anymore after the power went out

sdh21

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello reader

I'm experiencing issues with my Dahua IP camera. After the power went out and was restored, my camera wasn't showing up anymore and wasn't connecting to the internet. I have downloaded the Dahua Config Tool but I can't find the camera in the network, even with a seperate IP scanner. The default subnet for my network is 192.168.178.x. I know some things about networking stuff but I'm not an advanced user.

What I tried so far:

1. Resetting the router to default settings, and powering on and off
  2. Restarting the camera
  3. Resetting the camera several times
  4. Changing the IP of my laptop to 192.168.1.x and connecting the camera to my laptop directly (default IP for this camera would be 192.168.1.108). This results in the camera being visible in the network with my IP scanner. It's pingable.
  5. Trying to login (successfully) directly to the camera, with the custom IP settings stated above and logging in via SSH using: ssh admin@192.168.1.108 with password "7ujMko0admin".
  6. Try to login with these credentials in the Dahua Config Tool app, but getting a "login failed" notification.

Has anyone had the same issues? How can I resolve this problem? I really don't know what to try next.

Thanks

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If the camera is back to it's default settings, which it probably is since it has ip adress 192.168.1.108, you should go to the webpage. I'm not familiar with this model but if it really is back to default big chance it will show you a setup page.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
  • Set PC to static IP of 192.168.1.100, subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
  • Not knowing camera is accessible or not, ideally have it on bench and run a known GOOD Ethernet cable directly from PC to camera (to POE switch or POE Injector if POE powered or to camera's RJ-45 if 12VDC powered).
  • Try to bring up the cam's embedded webGUI with the default IP in browser

sdh21

n3wb
Reaction score
I've confirmed the Ethernet cable I used is good. I connected the camera directly to my MacBook with this ethernet cable.

I believe this camera does not have a webGUI as the other (same model) camera we have doesn't have one either.

Something I have noticed: the open ports for the not working camera are different than the camera we have that works (see screenshots)

Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 14.29.42.png

Screenshot 2022-05-22 at 14.35.00.pngScreenshot 2022-05-22 at 14.34.53.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, specs say viewable with IE11, Chrome, Firefox, Safari.
If you're up to it, try this "Hail Mary":
  1. Power down camera, wait 20 seconds.
  2. Press and hold reset button, apply power, keep holding reset button.
  3. Continue holding reset button for 5 clicks of the IR cut-filter or 60 seconds, then release.
  4. Wait 10 seconds, then power down camera.
  5. Wait 10 seconds then apply power.
  6. Wait 30 seconds, then try .108 again in browser.

sdh21

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes sure! What do you mean with (3). Continue holding reset button for 5 clicks of the IR cut-filter or 60 seconds, then release.

When I try to log in to the working camera (same model) via my web browser I get an 404 Not found message, but that camera works fine.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes sure! What do you mean with (3). Continue holding reset button for 5 clicks of the IR cut-filter or 60 seconds, then release.
Night vision is provided by infrared LED's (IR) that a photo-sensitive sensor turns on at night. A mechanical IR cut filter is lowered during the day over the camera's image sensor to filter out IR; IR entering the camera's image sensor is only desirable at night so that's when the IR cut filter is removed, allowing IR light to enter the camera's image sensor. When the cam is first powered up you can hear the mechanical movement of that filter "click" as part of it's boot-up cycle.

If you never hear it, just hold for 60 seconds. It would be an anomaly, IMO, if you don't hear the clicks and it may be an indicator of an issue with the camera.

sdh21

n3wb
Reaction score
I've tried the steps you have given me, to no avail unfortunately. Would it be possible to force the camera to use DHCP via the terminal? That is the only way I have managed to successfully connect to the camera in a meaningful way. The ports that the camera has open are 22 ssh and 23 telnet. The working cameras have ports 80 (http), 554 (rtsp), 5000 (commplex-main), 37777 (unknown) open.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've tried the steps you have given me, to no avail unfortunately. Would it be possible to force the camera to use DHCP via the terminal?
Can't say..won't hurt to try.
The working cameras have ports 80 (http), 554 (rtsp), 5000 (commplex-main), 37777 (unknown) open.
Since 80 and 554 are not open and you've tried everything else, if you can't brute-force something meaningful with PuTTY or the like on Telnet, I'd go to the nearest lake and see how long that camera can float.... :confused:

sdh21

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah well :lmao:,I will contact the shop where I bought them, lets see what they can do for me. Thanks anyway for your help!