I can't get mobile push notifications to work.

OccultMonk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I enabled/set everything: Main settings, Cameras Alerts, Firewall open, Enabled the mobile devices etc, set the names correctly. Installed mobile apps on IOS and Android. (Using BlueIris version 5)

I just can't get push notifications to work. The test button also does nothing.

OccultMonk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes Version 5. Remote wizzard, Firewall open, Cameras alert settings and Mobile devices checked. But it still does not work. When I press the test button is also does nothing. Mobile Apps work file on IOs and Android devices. Just no alerts.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes Version 5. Remote wizzard, Firewall open, Cameras alert settings and Mobile devices checked. But it still does not work. When I press the test button is also does nothing. Mobile Apps work file on IOs and Android devices. Just no alerts.
I believe @gilkman was asking about the exact version of v5 found in "settings" ==>>"about", such as 5.2.5.0.

OccultMonk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
  • The most recent version 5.3.1.1
  • Latest apps on both IOs and Android
  • Apps on mobile devices have notifications enabled
  • Mobile apps work fine on both local and remote IP
  • Remote access wizard and firewall setup completed
  • Port forwarding for remote access enabled and working
  • Cameras have alerts enabled with the correct mobile device names
  • In the main settings under mobile devices both are enabled.

I just don’t know what is going on, why it does not work on both my mobile devices.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just started using blueiris, so I don't know if it works in other versions. Is this fixed in 5.3.1.2?
I dunno yet, maybe someone else will chime in regarding 5.3.1.2; I'm running "old" 5.2.5.0 from 5/15/20 and push notifications work OK to my even older BI app on iOS (v 1.63.10 ).

Jrock

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as OccultMonk, but I did have notifications previously working. They went from working, to working but without Alert Image, to recently not working at all. I'm not sure what version they specifically stopped since I've haven't had time, but it seems hit or miss since upgrading to V5. I'm currently running V5.3.1.3 x64. My phone is an Android, notifications are enable.

I just went back through settings and checked all the same boxes on computer. After reinstalling the phone app I got the TEST function to work, but not for motion alerts.

gilkman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I believe @gilkman was asking about the exact version of v5 found in "settings" ==>>"about", such as 5.2.5.0.
Yes...when i installed V5 and set up push notifications they did not work. When I upgraded V5 to the latest build push is working fine. (5.3.1.2)

OccultMonk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there some way to diagnose the problem systematically? Is it a remote IP problem / firewall problem / problem with BlueIris on Windows or a problem with the Blue Iris Ios and Android apps? I have no way to know since the test does not even work. I know I can go to BlueIris web interface through my remote IP address so that seems to be working. Also the Remote network wizard shows all ok.

Jrock

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there some way to diagnose the problem systematically? Is it a remote IP problem / firewall problem / problem with BlueIris on Windows or a problem with the Blue Iris Ios and Android apps? I have no way to know since the test does not even work. I know I can go to BlueIris web interface through my remote IP address so that seems to be working. Also the Remote network wizard shows all ok.
I just got the test to work today after updating desktop app, deleting the phone app, reinstalling on phone and checking my device in the blueiris settings. My logs/messages are showing "sent alert to 'my device'" but I'm not getting anything on 'my device' for actual motion alerts. What do your logs/messages show for alerts?

I sent an email in to support and I'll update here if I get it resolved, but again since I updated to V5 notifications have not been consistent. You might want to also start with an email to support from desktop app.

OccultMonk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 5.3.1.3 installed and still nothing. I can't get the log file even though it is enabled in status. In status screen under messages there is no mention of send alerts.

gilkman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you tried using tags? put a tag called 'phone' in the tag field for your mobile devices. Then under the "On Alert" button for your push notification actions under each camera, add 'phone' to the required mobile device tags field and see if that solves your issue.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not sure tags have anything to do with it. I don't have tags configured and push notifications work without any issue.

gilkman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah I added them while researching my initial troubleshooting with push. There is another thread where someone indicated that tags helped solve their problem. Good to know they aren’t required at this point

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
From time to time, I do notice issues with Apple Push Notifications - they seem to sometimes not include the alert image. Had it happened recently and tested a camera with 5 triggers, 4 out of 5 produced an alert image, In addition, I send pushes to 2 iPhones and in some cases, 1 phone would have the alert image and the other wouldn't have it for the same trigger. I would say overall, that push notification works much better than sending via SMS.

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From time to time, I do notice issues with Apple Push Notifications - they seem to sometimes not include the alert image. Had it happened recently and tested a camera with 5 triggers, 4 out of 5 produced an alert image, In addition, I send pushes to 2 iPhones and in some cases, 1 phone would have the alert image and the other wouldn't have it for the same trigger. I would say overall, that push notification works much better than sending via SMS.
I've seen the random issue with the Android app where there's no attached image. I haven't figured out if there's any pattern to it yet. Otherwise, the Android Push alerts have been working fine for me through all of the recent BI versions.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I get iOS push notifications consistently 45 seconds to 1 minute after the alert is finished recording.