I can't get my NVR to detect IP camera, help please

mfred68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision DS-7608 NVR and today a new Hikvision camera arrived, It is a DS-2CD2122FWD-I
I understood that connecting a brand for brand camera into the PoE ports should enable plug and play, but in my case this did not happen.
If I try manual setup, I need to enter the IP address, but i'm not sure what the IP address is.
I disconnected the camera and reconnected it to my network and then detected its IP address on my computer as being 192.168.1.120
So I then reconnected the camera back onto the PoE port and manually entered 192.168.1.120 but it returned an error that network is not detected. All other 3 working cameras have IP addresses on 192.168.254.163
So adding the new Hikvision camera with 192.168.1.120 to the PoE port does not find the camera.
So what I need to know is, how do you change the Ip address on the new camera to i.e. 192.168.254.150 ? do I even need to change the IP address?

I also can't log into the camera on a web browser when connected on the network because i accidently entered the wrong password 3 times and am now locked out, will this also mean i've locked the camera out of my nvr, or should it still produce a picture via the PoE ports?

please can someone help, its quite urgent thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So adding the new Hikvision camera with 192.168.1.120 to the PoE port does not find the camera.
That's a LAN address, presumably from your DHCP server.
It will not work for a PoE port connected camera.

A suggestion to try:
In the NVR web GUI, for the channel that you want to plug the camera into, look for the IP address of that channel and note it down.
It will be something in the range 192.168.254.x
Plug the camera back into the LAN.
Powering it off should have removed the lockout.
With SADP, change the camera IP address to be the same as the address you noted down.
Set the camera default gateway to 192.168.254.1
Disconnect the camera from the LAN, plug it into the chosen NVR PoE port.
All should be OK, assuming the camera settings in the NVR Camera Management have been given the right password.

mfred68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok thanks thats really helpful, i will try this tomorrow first thing, but can you please tell me what the camera password should be, as i have entered it incorrectly 3 times and it locked me out.
i cant remember if one of the three entries was 12345, but i remember trying admin, twice thinking that admin was the username and password.

Another problem i have, (but not sure if i should start a new thread or post it here) is that I have added my pre-amplified mic to the Audio in jack of the NVR, but I cannot get it record sound, and I also cannot hear any sound on the monitor, which is a TV connected via HDMI. I have selected audio and video for camera 2 which is the room i want to monitor sound from and has the mic placed next to cam 2 , what could be the problem?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
but can you please tell me what the camera password should be, as i have entered it incorrectly 3 times and it locked me out.
i cant remember if one of the three entries was 12345, but i remember trying admin, twice thinking that admin was the username and password.
A new Hikvision camera would normally be supplied in an 'inactive' state, requiring you to set your own strong password to 'activate' it.
That state can be seen using SADP V3.x and the camera can also be activated via SADP as well as via the web GUI.
SADP can be downloaded here : Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.

If the web login did not require that you 'activate' the camera, the seller has accessed the camera and put a password on, and not reset the camera to defaults before shipping.
The old default passwords before 'activation' were 12345 123456789abc and sellers have been known to use 123456789a
Both lower case and capitals.
The lockout will expire if you connect it to the LAN and leave it. so it doesn't get wrongly accessed by the NVR - though I'm not sure how long that will take.

mfred68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
useless, its asking me to input the password on sadp to save the new ip address, but the camera is still locked out. I have sent Hikvision the "Device key" XML doccument, as instructed to do so on SADP but Hikvision have to replied back to me.
I find this rediculous having to rely on Hikvision to reset a password on a device which now belongs to me and not them anymore as ive paid for it!
relying on other people olny delays the progress, imagine setting this system up in a customers house, ide have to call back another day because of waiting for a reply from Hikvision! this should be self resetable!!

Or am i doing something wrong?

mfred68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
what exactly is "the web GUI" and no i havent asked the seller yet but i will do right now.

mfred68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
in that case yes i did try the default passwords, but when i first switched it on, i thought the password was admin, so i put that in twice, and then i thought it might be asking me to choose a password, so i put in a personal password, and it then said i tried 3 times and now i'm locked out, and it wont expire neither. what else can i try?

mfred68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
when i last tried it, i looged into the camera gui and it took me to the password screen, and i had 5 attempts to enter the correct password, but each time i entered a wrong PW the attempt counter counted down, so i currently have 2 chances left.
But i also notice that on the SADP screen the camera is listed as active.
So i don't know what i'm doing wrong, but i'm thinking that someone else entered a password before i purchased the camera. could this be true? Im still waiting for the seller to reply as i have asked them this.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
but i'm thinking that someone else entered a password before i purchased the camera. could this be true?
Well, as the password is not one of the standard (old) defaults, and the camera is 'activated', as Sherlock Holmes said -
"You will not apply my precept," he said, shaking his head. "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? We know that he did not come through the door, the window, or the chimney. We also know that he could not have been concealed in the room, as there is no concealment possible. When, then, did he come?"

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
when i last tried it, i looged into the camera gui and it took me to the password screen, and i had 5 attempts to enter the correct password, but each time i entered a wrong PW the attempt counter counted down, so i currently have 2 chances left.
But i also notice that on the SADP screen the camera is listed as active.
So i don't know what i'm doing wrong, but i'm thinking that someone else entered a password before i purchased the camera. could this be true? Im still waiting for the seller to reply as i have asked them this.
I recommend factory resetting the camera and you should be able to login with the default user name and then it should prompt to have you enter a new password.