I give up. F--ng pissed. spent 5 plus hours on port forwarding

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im adding another computer and moving BI to that...well, so I think. Current router and open ports have been online for years...no hardware changes. Asus RT-68 router, BI and remote desktop work like a charm. Still do.

Issue.. I cannot open a port through the router. I tried absolutely every F^%!NG thing possible. Cox help for ISP=an hour, reset a dozen times, add and remove ports, firmware all up to date..literally everyting.

heres where Im stuck. The current ports that are routed to the existing computer have been online for years. No issues at all. When I change the port assignment to the new computer (from 192.168.1.144 to 192.168.1.190) it no longer works. Or, if I try to create new ports to the new computer, nothing will work. When I reroute the port forwarding back to the existing computer (192.168.1.144) its back online again. If I try to open a new port to the existing computer (192.168.1.144) that has port forwarding already it will NOT allow forwarding either. It will not allow any ports to be forwarded besides the 2 i have online already. The port forwarding is all the same in the router and none, but the 2 already in existence, will allow forwarding.

When I say not allow forwarding, I mean the router confirms everything is good to go in the software but the port check tool will ALWAYS show the port not open.

Thoughts? new computer is a Dell with Windoews 11 pro

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Im adding another computer and moving BI to that...well, so I think. Current router and open ports have been online for years...no hardware changes. Asus RT-68 router, BI and remote desktop work like a charm. Still do.

Issue.. I cannot open a port through the router. I tried absolutely every F^%!NG thing possible. Cox help for ISP=an hour, reset a dozen times, add and remove ports, firmware all up to date..literally everyting.

heres where Im stuck. The current ports that are routed to the existing computer have been online for years. No issues at all. When I change the port assignment to the new computer (from 192.168.1.144 to 192.168.1.190) it no longer works. Or, if I try to create new ports to the new computer, nothing will work. When I reroute the port forwarding back to the existing computer (192.168.1.144) its back online again. If I try to open a new port to the existing computer (192.168.1.144) that has port forwarding already it will NOT allow forwarding either. It will not allow any ports to be forwarded besides the 2 i have online already. The port forwarding is all the same in the router and none, but the 2 already in existence, will allow forwarding.

When I say not allow forwarding, I mean the router confirms everything is good to go in the software but the port check tool will ALWAYS show the port not open.

Thoughts? new computer is a Dell with Windoews 11 pro
Port check will show closed if you have a firewall blocking access to the new pc. Check the firewall on the pc.

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Port check will show closed if you have a firewall blocking access to the new pc. Check the firewall on the pc.
I completely disabled the firewall on the new computer. and virus software. forgot to mention that too. Even when I create a new port for the existing computer the port will not open.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I completely disabled the firewall on the new computer. and virus software. forgot to mention that too. Even when I create a new port for the existing computer the port will not open.
The port checker cannot know whether the port is open. It only knows whether or not it gets a response from the software/device that is supposed to respond to its query. Your issue could be in the router, pc or a bad setting in BI webserver.

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The port checker cannot know whether the port is open. It only knows whether or not it gets a response from the software/device that is supposed to respond to its query. Your issue could be in the router, pc or a bad setting in BI webserver.
Agreed. Except i havent setup BI on the new computer. Just tried opening ports to it

Kurtis500

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
lol, thats why its not working...without BI's webserver running, there is nothing responding on that port. Now that we solved that problem you should consider using something more secure like a vpn or zerotier.
AAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHH

yeah, that was it. Since I dont do computers and have to crash course everytime I reset something, I assumed that you have to open door #1 (port) before you could get to door #2 (computer)

What about Teamviewer? better, worse or the same?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Use ZeroTier. Very easy to set up. If you feel adventurous since you have an Asus router and it has OpenVPN built right in. A couple of clicks in the router config and install the app on your phone. You will need to import the client.vpn file that the router will generate though. Either way is actually pretty easy and there is not significant port forwarding and the port that is forwarded is well protected by encryption.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OpenVPN is simple, but we overthink it and make it way more difficult than it needs to be lol.

You will need a DDNS as your WAN IP address is subject to change at anytime by your ISP (although most do not change often) or you are paying for a static IP address.

I was there too once with OpenVPN...tried to do all this research to find directions and got to the point I said screw it and just enabled it and kinda of followed what it was asking and it worked.

Just go to OpenVPN and enable it and see what it says - probably asks you to create a user/PW, DDNS name, encryption method, and create certificate. Then copy and save the certificate on your mobile device. Then install the OpenVPN app and select the certificate and then connect and you are on your home network.

It really is simpler than our minds make it out to be.