I have a problem with the rotate function on the HIKVISION cameras...

marle1337

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. So i just bought those hikvision cameras.

Some of them has to be rotatet so that the picture looks right, and not sideways.

But when i turn this rotate button on the picture looks very bad...

I have attached some pictures, with and without rotate.
tretretre.PNGnbjgjghf.PNG
So does anyone know why this is happening and a solution?

Kind Regards

marle..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this in the camera's web interface? You need to find the button to force it to honor the original aspect ratio instead of stretching it to fit your window.

marle1337

n3wb
Reaction score
I use Synology NAS to edit in the cameras. I dont see any button says anything about a ratio to adjust in?

I need the LIVE pictures to look right also.

Can you help with that ?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's Synology which is stretching it wrong. It's probably worth dropping them an e-mail as their support is pretty decent.

marle1337

n3wb
Reaction score
I dont think its synology that is the problem, since when i try to use the cameras iterface it does the same as when i use the synology interface. I have tried to reset the camera to default and only have it on the camera interface and not on the synology.

So i dont think its the synology that causes the problem

hmb

n3wb
Reaction score
What model of Hikvision camera is this, and how has it been mounted?

It appears you have mounted this camera rotated 90 degrees from the way it was intended to be installed, so the camera's image sensor is now oriented with its widest dimension "top to bottom" instead of "left to right" as it should be. While you can set the camera to digitally rotate the image, the result when viewed as a traditional horizontally oriented 16x9 video image (depending on the software and the settings you are using to view the image) will either be a smaller undistorted image that doesn't fill the picture and has black bars at the sides, or a horizontally stretched image that fills the picture (which is what you have got). I think the best way to fix this is to either remount the camera or (if you have an Hikvision dome camera that allows this) physically rotate the camera inside the housing. As an additional benefit you will get a wider field of view - you will see more of the parking lot, and less of the bulkhead (the thing at the top of your picture that occupies 20% of your image)

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is how synology interprets the image. Let me explain a bit better.

Your camera has a 1920x1080 resolution (for example) yet you have the camera rotated. When you rotate the image with the software you are now getting a 1080x1920 resolution picture. Synology is stretching/squashing this to 1920x1080 to fit the screen.

hmb is right, you could just rotate the camera physically.

hmb

n3wb
Reaction score
It is how synology interprets the image. Let me explain a bit better.
Agreed. I think Marie was troubled by the fact that the same problem occurs when the camera's live feed is being viewed (presumably directly from the camera's web interface). Your explanation also applies to that situation.

marle1337

n3wb
Reaction score
Well. its not possible to set the camera otherwise. And the lense cannot rotate itself.

Any other suggestions to fix this?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What camera is it?

E-mail Synology and show them, they probably have a setting to respect the correct aspect ratio

marle1337

n3wb
Reaction score
They told me that they couldnt do anything about it, because it will automaticly be streehced out when i rotate it...Arent there any firmware that can help on this?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK, well there's your answer then. Unless you want to 1) live-view it using a different software or 2) rotate the camera physically then there is no other solution.

It's the wrong lens length anyway. You'd be better off getting a 4mm DS-2CD2332-I for there. You can rotate that one easily.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is just a bad install...there is not such thing as not being able to mount the camera correctly...What model is it? Why is the model a secret?

marle1337

n3wb
Reaction score
Tht model isnt a secret, i have just answered to alot else than the model, please chill. - DS-2CD214FWD-I

I cannot mount the camera otherwise as it is, the wall nex to it is only made out of glass. I cannot mount it so it is right out so i dont need rotate function.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Tht model isnt a secret, i have just answered to alot else than the model, please chill. - DS-2CD214FWD-I

I cannot mount the camera otherwise as it is, the wall nex to it is only made out of glass. I cannot mount it so it is right out so i dont need rotate function. I just cannot do it, so end of discussion, if i could i would have done it long ago :)
Its not end of discussion, you have the wrong model number, if its DS-2CD2142FWD-I the camera is a 3 axis camera and can be adjusted... You can also physically rotate the camera...

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
End of discussion! So nice of you.

Btw, you can rotate the lens, problem solved. Next time don't have a rant at us all for trying to help you.

marle1337

n3wb
Reaction score
So what you are saying is that the lens can be rotated in this camera so i dont need to use any kind of software to do it?

Del Boy - It is end of discussion if you keep telling me i can move the camera so that it is right in front of where i want it. Its not a answer i can use.
Now you have answered me with something i can use. Just because im the one who needs help doesnt it mean you should write douch to me though.

The reason i wrote end of disscution is because you keeps telling me i just should move the camera, while i cant. I didnt mean end of discussion like you havent help me out here?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So what you are saying is that the lens can be rotated in this camera so i dont need to use any kind of software to do it?

Del Boy - It is end of discussion if you keep telling me i can move the camera so that it is right in front of where i want it. Its not a answer i can use.
Now you have answered me with something i can use. Just because im the one who needs help doesnt it mean you should write douch to me though.

The reason i wrote end of disscution is because you keeps telling me i just should move the camera, while i cant. I didnt mean end of discussion like you havent help me out here?
You are very dense. Look at post #7 where it was recommended you rotate the lens. You reply in post 10 stating with certainty that the lens cannot be rotated. You need to LISTEN to experts as you obviously have never installed a camera before. No one ever told you to move the camera to a new location.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not writing down to you, you aren't providing the right information and then are ranting at us for trying to help you.

You can rotate it without the software. Open the dome and give it ago before replying again please. No one was saying you should move the camera at any point.