I Just Shucked 3-12TB Drives(Bestbuy) w/Diff. Model # ??

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As title says just Shucked 3 -12TB Drives from Bestbuy....the drive have different Part Numbers
2 - WD120EMFZ
1- WD120EMAZ

So does 1 have more Cache than the other ?
I looked and can not find out the Differences are from the 2 Models.

Some help from the community please...

AP514

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
**Update**
Not sure this is 100% correct. But the only post I have found so far.....
"Mouthofwar"-Slickdeals
Depends on what's inside. If you get a WD120EMFZ like I did, it has a 512M cache size, whereas some receive WD120EMAZ, which is the 256M cache.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This may not apply. I purchased WD drives at an excellent price from amazon. It turn out the the SMART data and function was no longer working. So as the drive died there was no way to find out. How this happened i have no idea. The drives lasted less than 18 months, before system crashes.

These were not the system drive, just storage.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the cache size on a large storage drive. If you need high performance, buy an SSD.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
I did not check my 8TB easystore before or after putting it into my new system the other day, really because it was so cheap anyway as a starter drive. I will have to check now.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
looking at getting my build up to the task..
This is my old computer hoping to use this with Blue Iris.....
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, i5-3570K, CoolMaster Hyper 212 Evo-Cooler CPU, Skills Sniper 16 GB, Cruicial 512 GB -SSD , MSI-GTX 680 Twin Frozr 4GB O/C, Seasonic X750 Gold, NZXT Source 210 Elite-Case
Plus 3 - 12TB Drives.
Looking to have 2 Drives in Raid and the last as the longer term storage(every 30 days or so have the info moved from the Raid to it) not sure how to do this but I am reading......

Reaction score
looking at getting my build up to the task..
This is my old computer hoping to use this with Blue Iris.....
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, i5-3570K, CoolMaster Hyper 212 Evo-Cooler CPU, Skills Sniper 16 GB, Cruicial 512 GB -SSD , MSI-GTX 680 Twin Frozr 4GB O/C, Seasonic X750 Gold, NZXT Source 210 Elite-Case
Plus 3 - 12TB Drives.
Looking to have 2 Drives in Raid and the last as the longer term storage(every 30 days or so have the info moved from the Raid to it) not sure how to do this but I am reading......
Yeah i am working on my rebuild, i have 7 cams and one PTZ, going to be finished once i have at least 12. After studying all the wiki and forums, i am learning i lot. I will have over view and zoomed view for each area for facial close ups. I am adding more and more lighting as i am running in color mode at night, which is great. My system is a used dell. I have upgraded it to 16GB, and i have removed the cd tray and added a 1TB SSD drive for Blu Iris and operating system, and i added a 4 TB surveillance drive for video storage.
So far its running great.
system.png

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good to hear that my old computer will do the Job..looking at 8-10 Cams myself..starting off w/about 6.
@djernie--So, what MPs you running ? and your CPU Usage ?

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This may not apply. I purchased WD drives at an excellent price from amazon. It turn out the the SMART data and function was no longer working. So as the drive died there was no way to find out. How this happened i have no idea. The drives lasted less than 18 months, before system crashes.

These were not the system drive, just storage.
18 months..Should still be under warranty..If you Shucked them correctly ;)