I need advice on security cameras

Parcool

n3wb
Reaction score
I need advice on buying security cameras

So I need to buy myself some camera and I don't know any thing about what's good and what's not. So I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good couple of cameras, or a security camera set, that isn't too expensive around £50 to £150 and if possible 1080hd if not 720p hd.

I am okay at setting cameras up because I have done it in the past it's just I don't know what cameras are good.

Last edited by a moderator:

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can suggest a good couple of cameras, or a security camera set, that isn't too expensive around £50 to £150 and if possible 1080hd if not 720p hd.
You can get a couple of good cameras, or you can spend 150 quid. Pick one.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will only have trouble with this cheap wifi junk...there are tons of threads discussing much better options.

Reaction score
May you recommend me some one ? the router will be at 25 meters and clean view, other option could be a ip cam and a cheap access point.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
dont matter if its right ontop of the access point, Wifi is crap for Security cameras unless they record to a local SD card, and then you wont get any decent length of time archived.

security cameras need a guaranteed connection and throughput constantly, non stop.. your other wifi devices dont so they work fine, but your IP camera will drop out and come back and drop out and come back until you have riped out all your hair.. it'd be like streaming netflix non stop all year long and expecting it to never drop out and reconnect, if you've ever used any wireless devices for video you know the pain already.

run wires or forget about security cameras, there is no such thing as a wireless security camera anyhow.. a battery powered camera would be pointless, you have to run wires for power so run a wire for network that also provides power, duh.. if you cant string ethernet cables look at powerline networking, it can provide the steady throughput cameras need using the existing wiring in your house.

Look at anything Dahua or Hikvison, you cant really go wrong with any of there 1080p or better cameras.. unless you get a knockoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
tons of hikvisions being sold as local english cameras for normal local english prices when they are infact a hacked camera from another region that is not upgradable; you can import your self for like half the cost so its pretty much a knockoff.. although its a real hik, it is not what you were told it was when you bought it.

Abbell

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wifi sounds nice until you know the drawbacks. The bandwidth is eaten up by cameras so the more you have the less you can stuff on the same channel. There are solutions, like running multiple access points with hidden SSIDs, but even those can be sniffed out. Any wifi device can be either blocked or hijacked easily.
Nayr is right about using an SD card in a wifi cam. It would be a must since you can't ensure connectivity.
I have a few wifi gimmick cameras to play with, but I would never use them in anything remotely critical or important. There are exceptions and they should be limited. One year, when I build a shed, I plan to have a wifi camera running off a solar backup and a dedicated access point. Even then it won't be anything more than a backup option.