I need help with my lpr settings.

Reaction score
I recently installed an lpr and I’m having trouble getting a good image. During the day I can make out the numbers on the plate as well as during the night if the car’s headlights/tail lights are off.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Change to CBR and up the bitrate.

Manual shutter and 1/2000 and gain of 50 to start. You are on shutter priority so it has cranked gain up to 100 so you can see stuff even with a 1/10,000 shutter. Image should be completely black expect for head/tail light and plate.

Backlight at HLC 50 (I guess glareinhibition on that camera)

Smart IR off and manual at 100

Focus is different for day and night, so you will need to have someone stop a car in the middle of the frame and get the focus.

What are your settings for brightness/contrast, etc.

Which model is it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome! Yeah that is a great camera for that, but it does take some tweaking!

That camera needs at least 8192 bitrate, even more if you run it at 30FPS

Reaction score
Good to know. Is it still good if I run at 4mp? I saw someone in another forum say that lpr’s should be at most at 1080p

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1080P is fine for LPR, but since you have capable camera, best to run it at its native resolution.

The 2MP versus 4MP talk for LPR stems from the two main cameras people use is the 2MP 5241-Z12E and the 4MP 5442-Z4E.

They are both the same price, but the Z12E has double the optical zoom of the Z4E, so we tell people unless you are 100% confident that the plates will be within 60 feet of the camera, you are better off to go with the Z12E because of the better zoom and that 2MP is all that is needed for plates.

Most businesses and government tolls, etc. still use 2MP analog.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, now that you are closer, you can start dialing it in.

Drop gain down to say 25 and see if that knocks it out.

With the bigger sensor, you can probably go with a faster shutter if needed as well.