I/O Error: 0

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have had my system set up for a couple weeks, with no issues (other than some motion detection ones). Then yesterday my one camera showed "No Signal. I/O Error: 0" and I needed to reboot the entire computer to get Blue Iris to detect the camera again.

Today it happened again, but to a different camera. Then after I rebooted the computer to get it working again, I decided to change the motion detection contrast on one of the cameras, and when I applied the settings I got the error again and needed to reboot the computer a third time.

Why am I getting these errors out of no where all of a sudden?

Gearhead

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been having the same problem for about the past week. I have four cameras set up right now, to are POE and two are not.This only seems to happen to the POE cameras. A restart of the computer or the POE switch will fix the problem for a time. I plugged an AC adapter into one of the POE cameras. That camera only gets an error about half the time as the other one. Both POE cameras and the switch are less than a month old. I started having this problem right after an update.

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been having the same problem for about the past week. I have four cameras set up right now, to are POE and two are not.This only seems to happen to the POE cameras. A restart of the computer or the POE switch will fix the problem for a time. I plugged an AC adapter into one of the POE cameras. That camera only gets an error about half the time as the other one. Both POE cameras and the switch are less than a month old. I started having this problem right after an update.
Which update? a recent one? I have been having this issue after an update a few days ago.

You should report the issue to support.
I emailed their support email, hoping to hear a response soon. It's scary and annoying that my cameras keep going out every day and can only be fixed via a reboot. I don't want to miss something happening.

Gearhead

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes it was a recent update. I don't restart the system often and A few days after I added the newest camera this started happening. The camera that I put in the AC adapter into works for a much longer period of time than the one that's just running on POE from the switch.

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes it was a recent update. I don't restart the system often and A few days after I added the newest camera this started happening. The camera that I put in the AC adapter into works for a much longer period of time than the one that's just running on POE from the switch.
To help get this issue fixed, maybe you could also email the developer at support@blueirissoftware.com and let them know.

jjaakk

n3wb
Reaction score
I have exactly same issue starting couple weeks ago. Cameras were running rock steady until ~2 weeks ago. In my case POE or no does not make much difference. I have totally 6 cameras running and 2 of them are on high resolution (different brand). The two high res have the issue. As I moved one of the problem cameras to RTSP port 1024 I got improvement on the second one I left on 554. With improvement I mean 24h w/o an issue instead of I/O error: 0 every ~2h. Also I noticed that camera now comes back up w/o rebooting PC, but still requires rebooting the camera. Also there is an annoying thing, now almost every time I change camera settings in Blue Iris it gets to I/O error, but rebooting PC will get the camera back. In past I did not need to monkey much with settings, so this may have been the case in the past also. If I run camera OEM software at same time with Blue Iris, there is no issue with OEM software video even Blue Iris falls to I/O error.

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am brand new to BI. I am having this same exact issue. I have contacted support about it. I just sent the email yesterday. I have since went ahead and bought BI (last night) even with this problem because of all the features. I hope this gets addressed. But here is a copy and paste of the email I sent them. (please no making fun of the cameras I bought, 1st time in setting something like this up and not loaded) :p

Hi There,

I am currently using ISpy connect to run my camera system. But Blue Iris has got profiles with scheduling. That got me very interested in your product because the insects triggering false alarms are driving me nuts. With ISpy I have to adjust each camera's motion detection one at a time twice a day. Daylight and then night time. I saw that Blue Iris can help me with that by using profiles and scheduling. So I have downloaded it and am in my second day of testing and playing with settings.

Here is what I have got:
3.20 gigahertz Intel Core i5-3470
Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
8140 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
NETGEAR AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi Router
Netis PE6108GH 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch with 4 PoE Port
All wired connections made with Cat6 cable

4 - Reolink RLC-410 (PoE wired)
1 - Reolink RLC-410WS (wireless on the 5ghz band)
1 - Alptop AT-B603W (wireless on the 2.4ghz band)

So far my problem is every time I make adjustments to any of the wired Cameras and click ok they do not come back online. I get the very annoying No-Signal error window. That is highly annoying as I am in the process of tweaking the settings a lot. What is strange is they will come back online only AFTER I start up the Reolink PC client while running Blue Iris. Once I start up the Reolink Client on my PC the cameras will start working again after about 15 seconds. I have tried to enter the IP/port/user name/password manually for all cameras and I have also had Blue Iris do it for me by having it scan after the Reolink choice. Both ways I get the same result when tweaking settings. The wired cameras give the most problems. But When Blue Iris is saying No-Signal I can fire up either ISpy or the Reolink client and they see the cameras with no problem.

I really like the UI and looks of Blue Iris, and it is more versatile than Ispy and is in another ball park over the Reolink client. I really want to buy it, but the above problem really bugs me.

Also I have a question about the Blue Iris App. Do you have to purchase it for each and every device? Both the wife and I have a tablet and a phone each. We each have our own Google play account. I can understand having to purchase it once for each of our accounts for a total of $20.00. But, if we have to purchase it for every device that would be $40.00. YIKES! (our tablets do not leave home)

Thank You,
Robert

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also I have a question about the Blue Iris App. Do you have to purchase it for each and every device? Both the wife and I have a tablet and a phone each. We each have our own Google play account. I can understand having to purchase it once for each of our accounts for a total of $20.00. But, if we have to purchase it for every device that would be $40.00. YIKES! (our tablets do not leave home)

Thank You,
Robert
Reolink cameras have not been playing nice with blue iris...hopefully ken is able to resolve it.
As with any other app, you only need to buy one app PER google or iOS account.

JshKlsn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Reolink cameras have not been playing nice with blue iris...hopefully ken is able to resolve it.
As with any other app, you only need to buy one app PER google or iOS account.
I got an email back

Version 4.3.0.15 addresses an issue where the ReoLink stream would not immediately re-start
I have downgraded and I don't have the time to upgrade and test the latest version just in case it doesn't fix the issue. I am going to stay on the older version for the time being. However, just thought I would let you guys know for those having the same issue.

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got an email back also asking me to upgrade to the 4.3.0.15 version. For the Reolink cameras I can confirm in my case that it does work. The cameras now come right back up. Thanks Ken!

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank You fenderman for answering my question about the app costs and account.

jjaakk

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank You fenderman for answering my question about the app costs and account.
I did two things which solved my I/O error 0 issue. First on camera properties/configuration set one trouble camera to RTSP port 554 and Discovery port 8999 and other one to RTSP 1024 and discovery port 9000. This helped a bit. Second I used VLC program /tools/preferences/input/codecs changed Live555 stream transport tab from HTTP to RTP over RTSP. Since then I have had 48h w/o camera issues and cameras start as normal after setting change. Maybe change in VLC is enough, but after two week misery with cameras I do not want change anything.

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was lucky and did not have to go through that. The .15 update did fix that issue with the Reolink brand. But now kind of wish I did not buy Reolinks. The day pictures and videos are stunning. But night time. Ugh... 2 of the 4 are super grainy outside and can hardly get any detail. Same settings on all 4. Plus all 4 during night time are very prone to glitchy movements.

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Darn I just bought 12 Reolinks 5MP to replace old cameras. and installed 5 so far. I get the i/o errors. Plus nighttime is grainy and jumpy working with BI! Any suggestions?

I used http set to the ip that the Reolink app suggests

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Darn I just bought 12 Reolinks 5MP to replace old cameras. and installed 5 so far. I get the i/o errors. Plus nighttime is grainy and jumpy working with BI! Any suggestions?

I used http set to the ip that the Reolink app suggests
Yes. Send that junk back. Read the wiki and start over.

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I found 2 instructions. I will try tonight to see if it improves.

One from Reolink on how to setup for that camera for BI, it’s on their blog.

And another one form another poster about night time quality, who said the following:

“A quick tip - when I first used the cameras I was disappointed to see the fps drop to 12fps at night, I contacted their Customer services and got a very quick and detailed reply (anyone who has ever bought a Chinese product will know how unexpected that was!) as follows:

'The Reolink cameras will automatically drop the FPS to 12 during the night time to ensure enough exposure time so that you will have a bright image, to increase FPS during the night time, please change the advance settings using the Reolink client software:
Please go to Advanced Settings, change the Exposure to Anti-smearing, lower the shutter value to 0~32ms. To get a full 30fps, please also disable 3D-NR.'

And it worked, so if anyone else is having the fps issue I would try that first.”

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I found 2 instructions. I will try tonight to see if it improves.

One from Reolink on how to setup for that camera for BI, it’s on their blog.

And another one form another poster about night time quality, who said the following:

“A quick tip - when I first used the cameras I was disappointed to see the fps drop to 12fps at night, I contacted their Customer services and got a very quick and detailed reply (anyone who has ever bought a Chinese product will know how unexpected that was!) as follows:

'The Reolink cameras will automatically drop the FPS to 12 during the night time to ensure enough exposure time so that you will have a bright image, to increase FPS during the night time, please change the advance settings using the Reolink client software:
Please go to Advanced Settings, change the Exposure to Anti-smearing, lower the shutter value to 0~32ms. To get a full 30fps, please also disable 3D-NR.'

And it worked, so if anyone else is having the fps issue I would try that first.”
What they did was automatically reduce the exposure to 1/12 to give the appearance of good nighttime images and as a result the fps could not exceed 12. However as soon as something moves in the image, it will be blurry. The fact that they made this the default is very telling. Regardless of setting, the night image will be poor. You cannot fix a bad sensor with a settings change.

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh man. So Amcrest and others are better for night time?

I got this bundle from Reolink eBay so hopefully they would take it back if these settings don’t help

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh man. So Amcrest and others are better for night time?

I got this bundle from Reolink eBay so hopefully they would take it back if these settings don’t help
No, while amcrest rebrands dahua, they dont rebrand any of the low light cameras. No brand is better for night time. You need a reliable brand (which reolink is not) but also a model with sensors designed for low light. These are discussed all over the forum as well as the cliff notes in the wiki.