I want to get a home system!!!

Gi53

n3wb
Reaction score
I am very new to this stuff, I had a system installed about 6 years ago and some cameras went bad and replaced some. Now my NVR is down, the guy that installed it don't want to come and fix it anymore. I have POE cables all ready run and I would like a 6 camera system that Plug and Play, like I said I know nothing about this stuff. It will be used at my vacation and I want to use a APP on my phone to monitor it from another state. For now I would like suggestion on a NVR with at least 2TB , 1 outside cam with good night vision, color if possible, and 3 cams inside. I will want to add cameras latter, I have looked at Lorex and Reolink ect but don't know about them. Any info would be real great, I am going nuts reading about different systems, so if you want the truth you go to the source and here I am,,,help!!! Thank you all.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am very new to this stuff, I had a system installed about 6 years ago and some cameras went bad and replaced some. Now my NVR is down, the guy that installed it don't want to come and fix it anymore. I have POE cables all ready run and I would like a 6 camera system that Plug and Play, like I said I know nothing about this stuff. It will be used at my vacation and I want to use a APP on my phone to monitor it from another state. For now I would like suggestion on a NVR with at least 2TB , 1 outside cam with good night vision, color if possible, and 3 cams inside. I will want to add cameras latter, I have looked at Lorex and Reolink ect but don't know about them. Any info would be real great, I am going nuts reading about different systems, so if you want the truth you go to the source and here I am,,,help!!! Thank you all.
Welcome @Gi53

Take some time to read the cliff notes, lots of good information there.

If you want a decent setup you'll want to know better what your options are.

Remember, a part of keeping the cameras going is doing a good job keeping water out of the cable connection, so do see what others are doing w/regards to that.

A number of people here like software called Blue Iris running on a windows i5/i7 PC + a PoE switch + IP PoE cameras. So check the appropriate thread out here on that also.

Gi53

n3wb
Reaction score
Does Dahua or Hikvision sell a package, NVR and cameras? Are these a plug and play system? Where di I find a package deal, what web sight? thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does Dahua or Hikvision sell a package, NVR and cameras? Are these a plug and play system? Where di I find a package deal, what web sight? thanks
Hi @Gi53

Are you mechanically ok with things like putting a Hard Drive into a PC?

As you already have the cabling up, this should be fairly easy

Numerous options

1) Andy ( EmpireTecAndy ) is one of our appreciated vendors ( see the vendor section ), I would recommend considering the following from him

as many cameras as you need
Dahua OEM 2MP Starlight varifocal turret - IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS
Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal

1x Dahua OEM NVR5216-16P-4KS2 ( or look at Blue Iris on a Windows PC + PoE switch )

then order a Western Digital Purple HDD - I like to start with a 4TB HDD.. if you can afford a bigger one, then a 6TB or 8TB

2) Nelly's security can assist, also in the vendor section

3) other vendors available, those 2 are trusted by members here.

Gi53

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it a plug and play, yes I could change a hard drive, but putting in ip address and ports numbers, and stuff like that I get lost

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it a plug and play, yes I could change a hard drive, but putting in ip address and ports numbers, and stuff like that I get lost
Perhaps hiring someone to help set it up would be useful.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you buy ahua cameras nvr from Andy, is that pretty much plug and play like the Costco/Sam's kits (+ the HD install)?
My bro-in-law needs a "box kit" that he can just connect and go with default settings in place. Doing stuff like camera and computer network IP reconfigure ito find the cameras is beyond his skill set. He's out of town so I cannot support him. I really hesitate to tell him to get any of the sub part store kits though.
If I could tell him to order X model nvr and 4 y model Dahua cameras, hook up the cat cable and turn it on, that would be great.

Gi53

n3wb
Reaction score
How do I get in touch with Andy, to get price on a system? Does he help to build a system for you if you tell him what you want? Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you buy ahua cameras nvr from Andy, is that pretty much plug and play like the Costco/Sam's kits (+ the HD install)?
My bro-in-law needs a "box kit" that he can just connect and go with default settings in place. Doing stuff like camera and computer network IP reconfigure ito find the cameras is beyond his skill set. He's out of town so I cannot support him. I really hesitate to tell him to get any of the sub part store kits though.
If I could tell him to order X model nvr and 4 y model Dahua cameras, hook up the cat cable and turn it on, that would be great.
These guys can help. www.nellyssecurity.com