I wish IP cameras could do this.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

This picture was taken at midnight, and takes a very special setup.

The key to this is the camera, an old Olympus SP-500UZ 6 megapixel point-and-shoot that can be found used for $50-100. This camera is rather old, but it has some important, hard-to-find features:

• Fully controllable by USB
  • Can be powered by a 6v DC jack (batteries not required)
  • 10x optical zoom
  • Exposures up to 60 seconds! (this is how the above image is so bright)

I run custom software on a 10 inch Dell mini laptop to control this camera. It takes pictures through my spare bedroom window, one picture every 10 minutes, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

You see, these cameras like to randomly glitch out and stop responding correctly to commands over USB. So my software commands a Web Power Switch to power cycle the camera whenever it fails to take a picture. But besides that, this is a pretty rock-solid setup. The only thing that would shut it down is the computer freezing up (it happens) or the power going out long enough for the laptop to shut down. Laptops don't have the feature that allows a computer to start up automatically when power is restored.

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Panasonic Lumix set to Starry Sky Mode. Best pictures were 15 seconds long.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I almost got USB control working with a more modern camera. This time a Canon SX50HS (12MP, 50x optical zoom), using CHDK which is a canon hack toolkit that runs off the SD card.

Technically, I did get it working, and I could capture and download images via USB. But there is a major issue. You can't remotely turn on the camera. So the first power outage or USB glitch that requires a power cycle to fix, would disable the camera until you physically pressed the power button again.

Back to hoping that some IP camera vendor will enable full-minute exposures.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

This is the moon, not the sun. The sun had just gone down and it was "dark" outside at this time.

Here is the pic from 10 minutes before that triggered the start of night mode: