I would like a buying advice. I need an IP camera for home with ability to upload videos to a cloud (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc).

mike28401

n3wb
Reaction score
I need an IP camera for home with ability to upload videos to a cloud (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc). Or it can be a camera with the FULL SSH access (root access). Using SSH, I can install some cloud CLI client.

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you referring to having it running without a NVR or PC? If its recording to PC with something like Blue Iris, then the rest is easy.

mike28401

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you referring to having it running without a NVR or PC? If its recording to PC with something like Blue Iris, then the rest is easy.
Yes, I am referring to having it running without a NVR or PC. A regular IP camera is an ARM-based device with Linux. I think it should be customizable

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can SSH into many Dahuas (probably others, its just that I have Dahuas). Don't know what changes beyond the usual firmware stuff can be made though.
There are probably simpler solutions though. For example, most IP Cams have FTP ability. And there are a number of services that move/sync FTP to Cloud.

mike28401

n3wb
Reaction score
Do Dahua cameras have root access via SSH? Or limited access in a sandbox?
Could you please provide an example of a budget camera for home with FTP?

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No idea about root or sandbox. Never tried to do anything beyond firmware tinkering.

Define budget and what you want it for (wide angle overview cam, one to ID people (often cant have both) etc..). The current darling here is the IPC-HDW5442TM-AS. A 4MP fixed focal with a 1/1.8 sensor. It supports SFTP.