i5 8400 or i7 (skylake or newer)

Parity

n3wb
Reaction score
Firstly, I just want to say I understand this question has been done to death and I have read a lot of threads, including the guides etc and apologies for being a broken record.

Building a PC for Blue Iris (don't have the access to all the deals on refurbished machines as in the US), and basically just need CPU/RAM/Motherboard, which I will probably buy new. Initially I will have approximately 12 2MP Dahua cameras, 11 set to record at 15FPS on motion, 1 will be set to record 24/7 also at 15fps. I could see this growing as high as 20 cameras (definitely no more) and most if not all will be 2MP (so lets say a total of 40MP). The PC will be only running blue iris as a service, no other software apart from the O.S..

I am trying to keep costs down, but at the end of the day I want a stable system that isn't hitting the wall with CPU. In my situation will an i5 (albeit a coffee lake/6 core, single thread per core) be adequate or should I move up to an i7?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Firstly, I just want to say I understand this question has been done to death and I have read a lot of threads, including the guides etc and apologies for being a broken record.

Building a PC for Blue Iris (don't have the access to all the deals on refurbished machines as in the US), and basically just need CPU/RAM/Motherboard, which I will probably buy new. Initially I will have approximately 12 2MP Dahua cameras, 11 set to record at 15FPS on motion, 1 will be set to record 24/7 also at 15fps. I could see this growing as high as 20 cameras (definitely no more) and most if not all will be 2MP (so lets say a total of 40MP). The PC will be only running blue iris as a service, no other software apart from the O.S..

I am trying to keep costs down, but at the end of the day I want a stable system that isn't hitting the wall with CPU. In my situation will an i5 (albeit a coffee lake/6 core, single thread per core) be adequate or should I move up to an i7?
An i5 8th gen is more or less equivalent to an i7 6th or 7th gen....there seem to be less issues with intel video drivers on the 6th/7th gen's.
Any of those systems can easily handle that low load.

Parity

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful reply, especially regarding the drivers. Since posting this I have come across a 6700K system I am trying to obtain, thanks again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful reply, especially regarding the drivers. Since posting this I have come across a 6700K system I am trying to obtain, thanks again.
the K system is overkill and will likely use more power...look for a 6700 non k.