i7 4770k vs i5 6600

winston_j_allegath

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I`m currently running 7 cams on a i7 4770k w/ 16gb of ram in h264 mode. i have an i5 6600 with 8gb of ram (ddr4) and was wondering if it would be worth switch to that platform since i could run it at h265

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For 7 cameras it won't make much difference, especially if you do the optimizations.

Most of us have found real world conditions that H265 doesn't result in the major storage savings. Personally I saw within minutes of savings between H265 and H264, and I think H264 looks better.

Plus you can run the 4th generation with H265 - you just cannot use Hardware Acceleration, but with substreams, Hardware Acceleration isn't as much of a benefit as it was prior to substreams.

Do EVERY optimization in the wiki and you will see a major drop in the CPU. Substreams are a must, especially once you get over 4MP cameras.

A member here runs 50 cameras on a 4th generation CPU at 30%, so you will be fine with 7 cameras.

And by EVERY, I mean EVERY. Too many people come here complaining of high CPU usage and claim they have done every optimization in the wiki and once they post screenshots, we see they are not using the substreams and that is probably one of the biggest CPU savers. Do not skip one because you think it isn't important or won't make that big of a deal. Even dropping frame rate a few FPS can make a big difference. No reason to run more than 15FPS, and many us have cams running at 10 to 12 FPS.

If you do not understand what something does in BI, then ask. Too many people also change a setting not realizing what it does and actually makes their performance worse.

Please post a screenshot of your BI camera status page that shows FPS, MP/s, etc.

kedens

n3wb
Reaction score
For 7 cameras it won't make much difference, especially if you do the optimizations.

Most of us have found real world conditions that H265 doesn't result in the major storage savings. Personally I saw within minutes of savings between H265 and H264, and I think H264 looks better.

Plus you can run the 4th generation with H265 - you just cannot use Hardware Acceleration, but with substreams, Hardware Acceleration isn't as much of a benefit as it was prior to substreams.

Do EVERY optimization in the wiki and you will see a major drop in the CPU. Substreams are a must, especially once you get over 4MP cameras.

A member here runs 50 cameras on a 4th generation CPU at 30%, so you will be fine with 7 cameras.

And by EVERY, I mean EVERY. Too many people come here complaining of high CPU usage and claim they have done every optimization in the wiki and once they post screenshots, we see they are not using the substreams and that is probably one of the biggest CPU savers. Do not skip one because you think it isn't important or won't make that big of a deal. Even dropping frame rate a few FPS can make a big difference. No reason to run more than 15FPS, and many us have cams running at 10 to 12 FPS.

If you do not understand what something does in BI, then ask. Too many people also change a setting not realizing what it does and actually makes their performance worse.

Please post a screenshot of your BI camera status page that shows FPS, MP/s, etc.

I am running 14 cameras on a i5-6500 with 16gb ram. I did all the recommended options with all cameras set to 15fps. CPU runs between 8-11 percent, memory usage is about 20 percent. I highly recommend doing the optimization.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, that i5 is still from the old era with 4 cores. The old i7 will definitely outperform the i5.

It's not until you get into the 8th gen i5 that they add more cores. Obviously any newer gen i5 will crush the old i7 but an i5-8400 (with 6 cores) is really the first gen i5 that will.