i7-4790 vs i5-4570 Experiment

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've got two Blue iris systems running in different locations, my home setup is a dell 7020 with an i7-4790 and my shop is the same mini tower wnd MB with the i5-4570.

My shop is running 6 dahua 2MP starlights (Thanks @EMPIRETECANDY) and home has 9 of the same cams with significantly less CPU usage on the i7 with 9 Cameras,

I recently obtained two free to me i7-4790 chips and will upgrade my i5 to see how much the CPU usage goes down. Clearly through experience Blue iris likes the extra threads and slightly faster clock speed on my home system, I thought I would do some screen shots before and after if anyone was interested in the difference. I don't see this exact thread covered anywhere, but lots of discussion about xenon processors lol

@fenderman let me know what screen shots would be best to show because I know you already know the result of this experiment I thought it would make it obvious to people.

I keep loosing the link to the CPU comparison that is on here somewhere :( I liked that chart.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got two Blue iris systems running in different locations, my home setup is a dell 7020 with an i7-4790 and my shop is the same mini tower wnd MB with the i5-4570.

My shop is running 6 dahua 2MP starlights (Thanks @EMPIRETECANDY) and home has 9 of the same cams with significantly less CPU usage on the i7 with 9 Cameras,

I recently obtained two free to me i7-4790 chips and will upgrade my i5 to see how much the CPU usage goes down. Clearly through experience Blue iris likes the extra threads and slightly faster clock speed on my home system, I thought I would do some screen shots before and after if anyone was interested in the difference. I don't see this exact thread covered anywhere, but lots of discussion about xenon processors lol

@fenderman let me know what screen shots would be best to show because I know you already know the result of this experiment I thought it would make it obvious to people.

I keep loosing the link to the CPU comparison that is on here somewhere :( I liked that chart.
task manager CPU consumption and your status>cameras page

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
task manager CPU consumption and your status>cameras page
Alright, I'm on it.

Iva also noticed that CPU usage varies alot from daytime to night time on both systems, I'm sure there is a very good reason for that but I haven't really searched for that answer yet :) probably easier to process colour images or something, not sure..

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is no activity at night and it is dark so there are few frames that change. Bit rate goes way down and thus less CPU usage.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
The OP seemed to indicate daytime processing is easier (lower CPU). My guess would be that this is due to lower lighting conditions cause more (relative) noise in the images, complicating processing and leading to higher CPU usage at night...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
some difference, but not huge. Then again, you're not really taxing either CPU with 187MP/s.
triple that load and I think the difference would be more significant (in the 4790's favor, of course)

thanx for the data tho. very interesting...

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
some difference, but not huge. Then again, you're not really taxing either CPU with 187MP/s.
triple that load and I think the difference would be more significant (in the 4790's favor, of course)

thanx for the data tho. very interesting...
It seems to have settled down even lower now with the most noticeable difference in the night video processing where it was alway around 35%. Cpu but is now under 20% on average. Those readings were just before it got dark but very overcast.