i7 7700 or i7 7700k

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys, is it worth going for 7700k or 7700 will be enough for BI. Price difference in negligible but my concern is heat emission 65W vs 95W. I am not sure how many cams will be attached, probably around 10 - 12.

Apollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can let you know about the i7-7700 in a few days. I'm building a new system with that CPU, upgrading from an overclocked i7-930. My guess is that the 7700K version (overclocked) would not make an appreciable difference in performance from the 7700. Obviously it would use more power and the CPU would need supplemental cooling. Personally, I'm trying to move to a system that is quieter and that consumes less power.

Reactions: ypl

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Mate, I already built a BI server based on i7 7700, this is my built My BI custom server build
but I still need to set everything up. My target was also to achieve low power quiete cool system.

Apollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That should work well. It's very similar to the system that I'm building, except that I'm using anAsus MB and Samsung 850 EVO SSDs.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That should work well. It's very similar to the system that I'm building, except that I'm using anAsus MB and Samsung 850 EVO SSDs.
You can use a SSD for the OS, but the data drive should be a WD purple.
I use a smallish SSD and 4tb purple in my BI PC.

Apollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been recording to that SSD drive for 6+ months without any problems. Why do you say the data drive should be a WD purple?

You can use a SSD for the OS, but the data drive should be a WD purple.
I use a smallish SSD and 4tb purple in my BI PC.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's what the guys here who are way smarter in this stuff recommend.
WD purples are designed for recording camera feeds. They tweaked the firmware specifically for this use case.
So yeah, a normal HDD or SSD will work for a while, but a purple will last longer. Another advantage is they are much cheaper per byte, so you can record everything.

Apollo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's what the guys here who are way smarter in this stuff recommend.
WD purples are designed for recording camera feeds. They tweaked the firmware specifically for this use case.
So yeah, a normal HDD or SSD will work for a while, but a purple will last longer. Another advantage is they are much cheaper per byte, so you can record everything.
That makes sense. I'm only recording about 5GB of clips per day, as opposed to continuous recording, so with wear leveling and the endurance of the 850 EVO, my SSD should outlast me. At some point, if I decide to do continuous recording, I will pick up a WD Purple as they are obviously pretty economical.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FWIW, I didn't want to take a chance of missing an event (murphy's law is the one event you really want/need won't get recorded).
So I got a 3tb purple, and record everything from my 6 cameras.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just FYI, 7700k or 7700 are only supported with Windows 10. Personally not a fan of windows 10, that is the reason I recently went with 17 6700K with little difference in overall performance.

ypl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IMHO Windows 10 is best overall OS but you may have some reasons or specific needs.

mtpleasantben

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just purchased a 4TB Purple Drive, and I'm curious to see if there is any advantage of first recording to an SSD before passing the recordings to the Purple Drive. Right now the OS and initial Data dir is on my SSD. I'm not using Continuous recording, but I get 30GB to 50GB of data a day depending on wind/rain with 19 cameras at about 5.2MB/s or 476MP/s. It seems like the Purple should have no problems with this throughput, and eliminated the data file moves will save some load on my server.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I believe Blue Iris would like to go to the fastest drive first but I have only just touched the surface of that program. Hopefully a more experienced user will chime in.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The "K" series CPUs are a little bit faster (like 10% or so) but the higher clock speeds come at ever-higher energy costs, so it is probably not worth it.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I only went with the "K" because of a deal Newegg had on a CPU / motherboard combo. No intentions on overclocking. Lightening fast as is:)

As far as power consumption, ehhh, I'll just use a few more LED lightbulbs in my house to compensate;)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I only went with the "K" because of a deal Newegg had on a CPU / motherboard combo. No intentions on overclocking. Lightening fast as is:)

As far as power consumption, ehhh, I'll just use a few more LED lightbulbs in my house to compensate;)
There ya go!

Half the year where I live, extra power consumption by computers just means the electric heat runs less. But on the flipside, the other half of the year it means the air conditioner runs harder.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of LED light bulbs, when I bought my house about 6 years ago I replaced most of the incandescents with LEDs right away (what few bulbs there were, the previous owners even took half the light fixtures when they left). And I learned that not all LED bulbs are created equal. I've replaced quite a few junk bulbs that I had bought because they were the cheapest. If any of them lasts the full rated time, I'll be amazed.