i7-7700 slow performance

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I replaced a previous BI server i5-4570 with a i7-7700 HP Elitedesk G3, 8Gb, SSD...etc

14 cams - mix of 2MP, 3MP and 4MP, 15FPS, around 600MP/S

My previous i5 was about the same CPU %, but I gave up because the driver issue and decided to get a 7th gen i7 instead.

now this new server is using even more CPU % , usually 70% at idle with console open

whenever I review a clip on either phone or web, CPU goes up to 95% + and struggles to playback smoothly, eventually it bogs down and plays it frame by frame....

The old server didn't even have such issue. It only had problem with stuck at 100% CPU from time to time and BI had to be restarted. but playback was never an issue

I exported settings out of the old BI server and imported it back, the new server has a fresh install of Win10 Pro and BI. Nothing else installed.

Driver used is ver 4664 from Wiki post.

I'm lost. Why can't these things "just work" ?

I attached screenshots of my BI stats and CPU usage

Attachments

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try testing different video drivers, including older ones.

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All optimization have been done. I checked all settings after they are imported and they are correct.

The console monitor is a 1080p, the old i5 server had no problem whatsoever besides the driver issue that caused occasional 100% cpu

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All optimization have been done. I checked all settings after they are imported and they are correct.

The console monitor is a 1080p, the old i5 server had no problem whatsoever besides the driver issue that caused occasional 100% cpu
Are you running in demo mode?

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Activate cameras one at a time
the main problem is the playback. it uses up 95%+ of CPU just playing back clips.... even at 1x speed. web / ios / local...same thing
on my old i5 server it never struggled to play any clips.

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i tried deactivating the license, cpu dropped to 40-50%.... :screwy:

activated it back again, cpu back to 70-80%

dmiller

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
the main problem is the playback. it uses up 95%+ of CPU just playing back clips.... even at 1x speed. web / ios / local...same thing
on my old i5 server it never struggled to play any clips.
Huh. Task manager shows BI is using the high resources? Have you tried recording to a non-BI database format and playing the video with other software?

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Huh. Task manager shows BI is using the high resources? Have you tried recording to a non-BI database format and playing the video with other software?
Yes in Task Manager and the BI interface

The changing licence setting indicates the wrong video driver. Use the correct video driver.

as @bp2008 said "have you carefully read everything here? Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk"

Read slowly and do everything in the above write up. DO NOT BE LAZY.
I verified all settings 10 times all cameras. This is not a new setup. I’ve been using BI and I moved to a new server, never had playback issue before

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The new server has new video hardware. Something has obviously changed, so maybe try a different video driver just for ha has.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have the wrong video driver in bi. Read the files and links on the windows video driver.

Test turn off in bi all hardware acceleration on all cameras and reboot. The performance will be a little high but stable.

agurkas

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In my case, the GoogleDrive indexing and sync were eating 30% of the entire CPU processing budget.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agukas

The general rule for bi is on a standalone dedicated PC, with a clean install of windows. If you put crap on your computer this is what happens.

I do not even have an antibiotic virus on the bi pc. If you do not access the internet you do not need it.