i9 9900k tips/tricks/opinions

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello, so currently I’m running 21 cameras on a i7-4790 at around a total of 700 MP/s. We are adding 14 new cameras. Some of which will be ran at 5 megapixel at 15 frame per sec.. all in all. I’ll be looking at 1400 pixels MP/s. Maybe even up some camera resolutions and can push it to 1700 MP/s.
No text overlays. And just wondering what most people are doing with theirs.. all the parts will be in Friday.. putting it in a server case for a server cabinet. 8 fans... 20tb of storage for now (going to up to 30 in the future).
Just wondering if anybody has any other optimization tips for the 9900...

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Not running the 9900k but running the 9900. I run BI in a VM and only have 4 cores assigned for a 13 camera setup. Runs smooth as butter with only about 25% CPU usage. Here is my thread about the setup: Blue Iris in a VM? Yup no problem!

I think you will be fine. Especially if using QS decoding. That is really the biggest optimisation you can make. That and make sure direct to disk recording is enabled for each camera.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not running the 9900k but running the 9900. I run BI in a VM and only have 4 cores assigned for a 13 camera setup. Runs smooth as butter with only about 25% CPU usage. Here is my thread about the setup: Blue Iris in a VM? Yup no problem!

I think you will be fine. Especially if using QS decoding. That is really the biggest optimisation you can make. That and make sure direct to disk recording is enabled for each camera.
Awesome! How many megapixels are you pushing thru?? And which intel QS are you using in blue iris settings. (Hopefully it’ll save me some time)

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Pushing 300 MP/s on 4 cores if I’m doing my math right. So less than you but also, again, only 4 cores. The 9900 is a beast of a processor.

I’m not using Quick Sync because thats unavailable in a VM without a lot of tomfoolery. So I’m just straight up brute forcing the decode/encode.

That is why I think you will be more than fine. If you are running it on physical host (e.g. not a VM) you have access to Quick Sync which really makes a big difference. Having a dedicated decode engine is a big deal.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pushing 300 MP/s on 4 cores if I’m doing my math right. So less than you but also, again, only 4 cores. The 9900 is a beast of a processor.

I’m not using Quick Sync because thats unavailable in a VM without a lot of tomfoolery. So I’m just straight up brute forcing the decode/encode.

That is why I think you will be more than fine. If you are running it on physical host (e.g. not a VM) you have access to Quick Sync which really makes a big difference. Having a dedicated decode engine is a big deal.
That’s wild! I’m extremely interested in everything this bad boy can do!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

The number of cameras is irrelevant. For optimal performance BI should be run on bare metal.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
The number of cameras is irrelevant. For optimal performance BI should be run on bare metal.
Well of course. My point was if I can push 300 MP/s in a VM with only 4 cores not utilizing QS, then he will have no issue running a larger setup non virtualized (e.g. BI bare metal) using QS.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard from someone recently who tried 16 4K cameras @ 15 FPS on an i9-9900K, but he said adding the 14th camera was too much and streams started degrading to just a few FPS. 13 cams appeared to work, albeit at very high CPU usage levels. If we take this to indicate the limit for the processor, that puts the limit between 1625 MP/s and 1750 MP/s. Myself, I don't think I'd try to run more than 1500 MP/s on it. You always need to leave some breathing room for other windows processes, recording, clip database maintenance, clip viewing, remote viewing, exports, etc.

Also for what its worth, I think the limit of an i7-8700K is close to 1500 MP/s although I have not tested that limit personally and this data point is a couple years old now.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Absolutely correct!!
That being said, more and more of my deployments are on VM's, including my personal setup, and they are so much easier to maintain and more reliable than dedicated H\W.
Two hosts, one fails and the workloads just re-start on the remaining host. What also makes them reliable is less hardware drivers. Intel are not known for reliable display drivers!!
Also running the vmware OS optimiser really helps, I also run this on dedicated hardware (when I don't use VM's) and when I do run VM's.
VMware OS Optimization Tool | VMware Labs [default profile, disables Windows store and windows updates, but you can modify\use your own profile as required]

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will look into VM’s. It’s personally something I’ve never done except on my Mac when I need to run Windows.
It may be something I look at in the future. It just depends on how the numbers look when I get done. This is for a business so right now my main objective is to make sure it works with no fuss..
The owner initially installed 20 cameras so I bought a cheap computer for $320 off amazon and he loves it so much that he bought 14 more cameras and yeah... long story short. I’m building a $1300 computer.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I will look into VM’s. It’s personally something I’ve never done except on my Mac when I need to run Windows.
It may be something I look at in the future. It just depends on how the numbers look when I get done. This is for a business so right now my main objective is to make sure it works with no fuss..
The owner initially installed 20 cameras so I bought a cheap computer for $320 off amazon and he loves it so much that he bought 14 more cameras and yeah... long story short. I’m building a $1300 computer.
I normally virtualize everything but I probably wouldn't virtualize your particular workload since you are already talking about nearly 40 cams plus a very large storage array. Virtualization is a way to consolidate hosts. So if he doesn't have any other services he is running in house then I wouldn't do it. Just build out the physical server like you intended and call it a day.

Those 9900K can run hot from what I've read when running under load. Make sure you have a good heatsink/fan for it and lots of airflow going through the case.

gfaulk09

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I normally virtualize everything but I probably wouldn't virtualize your particular workload since you are already talking about nearly 40 cams plus a very large storage array. Virtualization is a way to consolidate hosts. So if he doesn't have any other services he is running in house then I wouldn't do it. Just build out the physical server like you intended and call it a day.

Those 9900K can run hot from what I've read when running under load. Make sure you have a good heatsink/fan for it and lots of airflow going through the case.
gotcha. I’m hoping I can keep the temp down. I’m actually putting it in a server rack chassis. Going to watercool the cpu with 7 case fans as well. So it should have plenty of airflow

mrc545

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a dedicated BI system with a 9900k, pushing 2300+ MP/s. It is a headless system in another room (it would trip the breaker in my office since I have a bunch of other stuff in here on an old 15A circuit, and sounds like a jet taking off, so I can do without the noise) and I have a local RDP session on my main PC to view it. RDP is definitely eating into some of the CPU usage, but I have the "limit live preview rate" set pretty low, so it works well enough. Still trying to tweak some issues with hardware acceleration, but that's neither here nor there.

The thing runs stupid hot, and there's not much that cooling in general can do for it. I have Noctua industrial fans throughout (3000 max RPM I believe?), and a Noctua cooler (with industrial fans between the heatsinks), and when HWMonitor is reporting 70+ C temps, I feel cool air blowing out the back. It runs hot on the die regardless of how much it is being cooled (yes, thermal paste was properly applied). At 80% CPU load, temps hover in the high 60's (C), but HWMonitor usually reports a max temp in the mid 70's every few days after I reset the counters.

Attachments

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
27MBps continuous write is pretty impressive. How many cams?

I’m only at about 5MBps with all cams recording.

mrc545

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
18 total cams. I recently did a tech refresh and upgraded most of my 2 MP cams with Dahua 4k ones from Andy. Also got 2 Dahua LPR's. I have about 30TB of dedicated usable storage, so there's no reason for me to not use the highest bitrate and framerate that my setup can handle. Should have almost 2 weeks of saved recordings before old clips get erased. I got tired of not being able to get a clear mugshot of the "car door checkers". These new cams fixed that issue.