Idea: Using more than one Net IF (IP) for camera?

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Folks, I've used BI for years and I know this isn't really possible so it's an idea I propose. If my LAN is d/c'd for some reason, I'd like BI to switch to an alternative IP ie (from *.158 to *.168) - the WiFi interface. Slow and choppy, but better than "no signal".

Matt L.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not quite, I wanted /BI/ to connect to two interfaces of one camera. A camera has LAN and WiFi. LAN beats wifi until someone unplugs the switch. Then it'll be nice for BI to switch over to a secondary net if. I think it's impossible.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not quite, I wanted /BI/ to connect to two interfaces of one camera. A camera has LAN and WiFi. LAN beats wifi until someone unplugs the switch. Then it'll be nice for BI to switch over to a secondary net if. I think it's impossible.
Or someone could unplug the cam power, or they could unplug this or that. Then even if you achieve what you're after then something could be compromised at the BI server as well.

Bottom line? IMO, I think you could possibly over-complicate your setup, introducing more connections, components, etc. which in itself introduces more places for failure.

The Model T Ford was a very simple marvel of engineering which is why many are still able to be driven today, some with original parts, 100 years later. I doubt my 2017 Ford Escape or my wife's 2012 Fusion will be running even 40 or 50 years from now. Too many parts, servos, switches, microcontrollers, connections, motors, valves, hoses....you get the picture.

There's a lot to be said for simplicity. Even in failure it's easier and quicker to diagnose and get back online. Hence, the "K.I.S.S. Principle"...
"Keep It Simple, Stupid" . (Not calling you "stupid", just using an old saying to illustrate a point).

If you have an ongoing problem with people unplugging stuff, not with malice but just ignorance, I'd attempt to secure those items as best I could. Like locked closets, cable ties and cable clamps, etc. to limit movement of plugs and connectors, etc. , perhaps even some warning signs.

BWB8771

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The Foscams (I don't wanna hear it, heh) already do this.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Foscams (I don't wanna hear it, heh) already do this.
As do most IP cams that operate via Wi-Fi or Ethernet. The ability to function via wireless when the Ethernet is unplugged is actually a non-issue, as long as the cam is properly configured.