Ideas for replacement cameras

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I found this forum while researching 10 replacement outdoor cameras for our home. After reading some of the tons of info on this forum I am more confused about the choice then ever. I know what ever cameras I choose they will be far better than my 8 year old Vivotek FD8134V I have installed.

So far I tried:

1) Hitvision DS-2CD1141FWD-I 2.8mm (Gray Market, with updated Firmware) This model one had one row of IR

2) Hitvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IS 4.0mm (US Market, V5.5.0 Firmware) Two rows of IR (Much better at night)

3) Vivotek FD-8382-vf2 - Expensive - Not that good at night - washed out video no matter how I tweaked it

Thinking about a DS-2CD2342FWD-I Turret. Wondering about audio tho.

I realize there are a bunch of Dahua fans here, I would not mind trying them, but they seemed to be very limited in availability.

Open to suggestions. I like the Hitvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IS 4.0mm best so far, but concerned because the FD8134V have some issues with dome IR reflection in a few of my camera positions.

Thank you all

M

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the Hitvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IS 4.0mm best so far
As has been mentioned lots on various threads - depending on location, domes can be quite troublesome with IR flare and reflections.
General experience (my own included, I swapped out my domes and bullets a while back) is that the turret format works really well.
No water spots, no real problems with reflections, and much brighter, more even and more reliable IR with the EXIR high-power LEDs.

But the biggest differentiator for cameras is the low-light performance.
I had a 2042 and found the low-light image quality was poor - worse than the older 3MP models.

Dahua, and now Hikvision, have some really good ultra-low-light models at good prices.
You will find the Dahua models extensively reviewed on the forum, the Hikvision ones less so.
I bought a DS-2CD2335FWD-I ultra-low-light model to replace a 3MP turret that I had been pretty happy with at night.
But the DS-2CD2335FWD-I is much, much better.
So much so that I have set it to colour mode at night where it gives an excellent, detailed image using a short exposure.

If you've been impressed so far with some of the newer cameras you've seen when comparing with your older models - you will be even more impressed if you try out one of the ultra-low-light models from Dahua or Hikvision.

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wonder does the DS-2CD2335FWD-I come as DS-2CD2335FWD-IS with audio?

M

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Not to my knowledge - but don't take my word on that, others may comment.
But do be careful over the model number - there are multiple 2335 / 3335 models that are not all ultra-low-light - it's the FWD-I suffix that's important.

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
k. I fixed my original post seems I left off the F. I also noticed with the new cameras that the slight fisheye in the 2.8mm & 4.0mm. Is there some point that the frames are square?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I realize there are a bunch of Dahua fans here, I would not mind trying them, but they seemed to be very limited in availability.
Interesting.

IMO, there are three main reasons why forum members here have been favoring Dahua:
1) Dahua came out with their low-light series (Starlight) many months before Hikivision released theirs (Ultra Low Light)
2) Dahua has many more models of Starights compared to Hikvision's Ultra Low Lights. I just added this Starlight PTZ mini-dometo my system and have been having a blast with it!
3) There is a trusted Dahua reseller that is very active on the forums here (@EMPIRETECANDY). He buys international OEM models directly from Dahua and ships worldwide, offers a warranty, and has been a liaison with Dahua support the few times the community here has run into firmware issues.

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe empiretecandy can PM me so to open a communication channel. Thank you

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Pretty sure my Cisco Comm closet switch only supports POE. Not even sure what ePoe is.

M

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty sure my Cisco Comm closet switch only supports POE. Not even sure what ePoe is.
ePoE is Dahua's extended PoE system. The ePoE models work fine with regular PoE switches (like your Cisco), but they have the option to use adapters that let you switch to coax for runs between 300m (100 Mpbs, 25.4W) and 800m (10 Mbps, 13W). I think you have to use their ePoE switch (or ePoE NVR) for the ePoE feature, but I'm not 100% on that -- I think everyone here is just using them as regular PoE devices. Helpful for some folks with long driveways, etc.

20170703170131_18594.png

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Been studying. I am thinking I like the turret over the dome, but until tonights test of the 4MP FWD dome the jury is still out. I really want audio which is the biggest Con to the 4mp Turret FWD IMHO. Still have to get my arms around the "fisheye effect" of the 2.8 and the 4mm. See photo of the DS-2CD2142FWD-IS

DS-2CD2142FWD-IS.jpg

PS - Has any member compared the DS-2CDxxxxFWD-I cameras in 2mp, 3mp and 4mp. Seems I read where the 2mp and 3mp are better in low light

Last edited: