Identify This Connector

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a wiring harness from a APC SMX UPS system. Two of the connectors need to be replaced and for the life of me can’t identify the exact brand / type!

If your Google Fu is strong I’d appreciate whatever the members can find. I’ll load up the pictures in a moment as Tapatalk doesn’t allow multiple images with a standard account.

This is the terminal connector with the plastic insulator:

The other side to get a better idea of what this looks like:

An image of the actual metal terminal connector. This type has a center tip that locks the connector to the battery terminal block:

I looked all over the Anderson website but nothing comes up for this specific model of wire terminal connector. :banghead:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a wiring harness from a APC SMX UPS system. Two of the connectors need to be replaced and for the life of me can’t identify the exact brand / type!

If your Google Fu is strong I’d appreciate whatever the members can find. I’ll load up the pictures in a moment as Tapatalk doesn’t allow multiple images with a standard account.

This is the terminal connector with the plastic insulator:

The other side to get a better idea of what this looks like:

An image of the actual metal terminal connector. This type has a center tip that locks the connector to the battery terminal block:

I looked all over the Anderson website but nothing comes up for this specific model of wire terminal connector. :banghead:
That is a crimp-on female spade connector. Any auto parts store should have one of those. They are a friction fit.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
That is a crimp-on female spade connector. Any auto parts store should have one of those. They are a friction fit.
Correct, but do you know what the specific model / brand this would be?!? I know its a little hard to tell how big this is but this connector and its plastic insulator is much thicker and larger than a standard one.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
+1 for the crimp-on female spade connector ID

If I'm not mistaken, the receiver currently crimped to the black wire has a spade connector in it, and needs to be removed if you still wish to use the black lead

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
What gauge is your wire?
I believe its a 10 AWG and found that specific connector under Little Fuse on DigiKey / Mouser. The plastic insulator for whatever reason doesn't come up and would have thought it would come with them??? :banghead:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe its a 10 AWG and found that specific connector under Little Fuse on DigiKey / Mouser. The plastic insulator for whatever reason doesn't come up and would have thought it would come with them??? :banghead:
All of their cables are auto stripped and crimp connected by machine. The problem with Schneider is they are a French company, so they source all of their parts and assemblies globally. The wire with the connector attached may come from the US with US made components (doubtful), but the protective sleeve that goes over it may be sourced in China or Germany. The company I work for builds products for Schneider. We have had some of our lines shut down for over 2 months because 1 particular size and rated fuse comes from China and it is stuck on a container ship out in the Pacific. They won't substitute a different fuse.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
All of their cables are auto stripped and crimp connected by machine. The problem with Schneider is they are a French company, so they source all of their parts and assemblies globally. The wire with the connector attached may come from the US with US made components (doubtful), but the protective sleeve that goes over it may be sourced in China or Germany. The company I work for builds products for Schneider. We have had some of our lines shut down for over 2 months because 1 particular size and rated fuse comes from China and it is stuck on a container ship out in the Pacific. They won't substitute a different fuse.
I can relate as the reason I'm asking for this specific terminal connector / insulator is there is going to be an audit. I have dozens and dozens of similar terminal connectors but none of them are even close to the shear gauge and thickness of the one that came with the UPS.

Normally if this was about voltage I would have applied several layers of 600 volt marine grade heat shrink. But, this isn't about voltage its about burn through due to high current and as you can see that nylon cover is easily ten times thicker than any standard automotive terminal connector.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Amazon has some kits that for a moment really made me happy until I saw none of them are single terminals. :facepalm: Comes with the nylon cover which by eye appears to be the standard thickness vs the paper thin heat shrink type:

If anyone finds something on Amazon or other please do share the link . . .

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
It was a picture I found on e-bay in the search engine. But when I went to the page, it must have been for an old auction.
I did too and if I only needed one buying one of those cable assemblies would probably end this whole drama. But, I need to make about 16 ~ 22 of these so would really like to be able to just buy the terminal and connector. :(

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, if your wire is truly #10, you can get yourself out of a pickle by clipping both the old male end and female end off and crimping on matched sets of yellow insulated M/F spade connectors. The yellow is rated for #12-#10. Home Depot, Lowes, etc. should have these in packs of 10 or 25. Make sure you have a decent set of crimpers rated for insulted terminal connectors. The ratcheting types are the best. Best of luck to you.

17563-description-5-l1.jpg

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, if your wire is truly #10, you can get yourself out of a pickle by clipping both the old male end and female end off and crimping on matched sets of yellow insulated M/F spade connectors. The yellow is rated for #12-#10. Home Depot, Lowes, etc. should have these in packs of 10 or 25. Make sure you have a decent set of crimpers rated for insulted terminal connectors. The ratcheting types are the best. Best of luck to you.
That would be something I could do in a pinch but that doesn't solve the problem of needing the actual connectors / terminals. Some are corroded while others melted off in a battery fire.

So, I really need to make the terminal connections . . .

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
In my experience Molex tend to do all sorts of crimp terminals, covers, plugs ECT and it looks like something they would do. Usually the cover will slide over an un-insulated terminal with a barb that locks the 2 parts together. You will likely have to buy the terminals and the covers to match separately and be prepared to break out the soldering iron. If your making hundreds of these things it would make sense to invest in their tooling for a neat job.They also do extractors to remove connectors from the cover. See links to get you started.

Good luck

Reaction score
I believe the battery manufacturers typically call those "F" connectors.
@Smilingreen posted in #17 what I was going to recommend.

Something like this?

Here ya go . . .

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.