If your HikVision stops talking to your Samba SMB/CIFS server ...

ivordurham

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently encountered a problem and am writing up the solution to save someone else the grief...

I belatedly discovered that my DS-2CD2032-I with 5.2.0 firmware had stopped recording video to its SMB/CIFS shared volume attached to my Linux system. It had been working for several years.

When I used the "Test" button on the Storage Management/NAS configuration tab on the camera, it reported a login/path error. The user/password set in the camera had not been changed and neither had the share setup. After enabling debugging in the Samba server ("log level = 10" in the global section of smb.conf and viewed in /var/log/samba/log.smbd) I noticed an error: "NTLMv1 passwords NOT PERMITTED" in reference the user specified by the DS-2CD2032-I. So it appears that a routine upgrade to the software on my Linux system had changed the default configuration so that the authentication protocol being used by the camera was now being rejected. I had to add "ntlm auth = yes" to the global section of smb.conf and then the Test button worked again after I reloaded the smb service configuration on the Linux system. I realize that this is not the preferred/recommended configuration for Samba now, but I couldn't get NFS to work reliably with the camera as an alternative. (Switching from SMB/CIFS to NFS I found that I had to "re-format" the share and then it would return to Uninitialized shortly after completion. The disk quota was originally setup for the SMB/CIFS configuration, so I don't know what else was mis-configured to inhibit NFS from working properly. I could ssh into the camera and view the shared volume, create files etc. via NFS; it just wouldn't stay initialized.)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The disk quota was originally setup for the SMB/CIFS configuration, so I don't know what else was mis-configured to inhibit NFS from working properly. I could ssh into the camera and view the shared volume, create files etc. via NFS; it just wouldn't stay initialized.)
The camera firmware has a maximum volume size (not free space) above which it will not use the NetHDD destination. For the 5.2.0 firmware I think the ceiling is a little over 200GB. Later firmware has different values.
It sounds like your SMB/CIFS quota on a larger volume satisfied that limitation. What size was the quota?
With NFS it would have to be the volume size that conforms to the limitation.

ivordurham

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera firmware has a maximum volume size (not free space) above which it will not use the NetHDD destination. For the 5.2.0 firmware I think the ceiling is a little over 200GB. Later firmware has different values.
It sounds like your SMB/CIFS quota on a larger volume satisfied that limitation. What size was the quota?
With NFS it would have to be the volume size that conforms to the limitation.
The quota is the same as it has been since I first got it working (about 1.7TB):

Disk quotas for user webcam (uid 505):
Filesystem blocks quota limit grace files quota limit grace
/dev/sdd2 16867576 1823500000 1824000000 7089 0 0

It may be the cause of the NFS configuration not working, but I did try a 200Gb quota when I switched to NFS before getting serious about debugging the SMB/CIFS authentication problem. It has been at 97% capacity of the 1.7TB for a couple of years merrily recording until the authentication problem occurred. So the SMB/CIFS configuration seems to be a way to get the larger capacity.