I'm only using BI to limited functionality (recording); any advise on setting alerts etc?

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all

Have been using BI for a few months now and have been happy with it overall. I haven't explored it completely and have only used it to view by remote desktop login and record onto SDD and HDD. I also have the BI App.

I'm looking to expand it's use but not sure of what to explore next, well one is setting up email alerts.

Unfortunately I havent managed to setup email alerts successfully yet. I've tried mail.google.com as the server and used my email login credentials, but it ain't working.

Any advice on how to setup email alerts correctly and any inspiration on what to setup next?

Thanks

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You have to go into your Gmail setting and set your security to less secure for the BI third party app. I would not use your main Gmail account for this reason. Setup an account just for BI messages.

"Sign in to your Google Admin console (Sign in using an administrator account, not your current account. Click Security > Basic settings. Under Less secure apps, select Go to settings for less secure apps. In the subwindow, select the Allow users to manage their access to less secure apps radio button. "

I would recommend using the "Push" notifications for the BI phone app. I find it is the fastest notification. I also send an SMS message with a pic of the event to my phone. It is really a MMS message, since images are involved. It serves 2 purposes, first the redundancy of the alert, since I use it for a security alarm. Second, I set the SMS "Quality of Image" to 15%, so it generates the message in very short time, and I can receive a small image when I am in a marginal cell reception or satellite connection. I have been in locations where I get an audio alert, but cannot connect to video, so hopefully the MMS image will come through, since it uses a small amount of data. I find the 15% image quality is good to see what was happening, then use the BI app or UI3 to see real time video on the phone.

Last edited:

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Handinpalm. I've set up push notifications by enabling in BI and in the app. I have also ensured the app runs in the background of my pixel phone. However still no success.

Any other pitfalls when setting this up?

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Make sure you have your correct "Mobile Device" enabled on the BI server settings and make your phone at the top of list. You can also set different notification tones for each camera, so you know where an alert happened just by an audio tone. You do not have to run BI app in back ground for it to work.