Image Quality?

aframe99

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm very new to all this.....I have a Hikvision 7608ni-e2/8p setup with three DS-2CD2032-I Cameras at my house. While the images are nice they do not appear to be anywhere near samples (youtube) I have seen from other people with similar setups. I've tried turning all the resolutions up on the cameras/nvr setup but haven't seen much of a difference. Is there anything obvious that I could be missing or did i just have too high of expectations? I've tried hooking up directly to a high def monitor and viewing over the remote, but I haven't seen any difference. I understand that I don't have the best angles and lighting, but it just feels like something is off. Thanks, Adam

Attachments

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Looks just like mine. Which samples are you referring to?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to upload a full resolution image...this is a low res sample...
Most likely, the images you see online have the saturation turned up so it seems to pop more.

aframe99

n3wb
Reaction score
I will upload a higher resolution in the morning, but I clicked on the thumbnail after I posted the question and it looked the same as what I see during playback. Thanks for the incredibly quick responses. I'm getting the feeling I was just expecting more than I should've.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IMO that image looks blockier than usual. Kinda looks like an upscaled image.

I noticed the 'screenshot' is 2560x1440, where did you get this screenshot?

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What's the settings you have set on the NVR for the cameras resolution, bitrate, constant/variable and etc?

Is it possible to get an actual screenshot from the screenshot button in the web interface.

aframe99

n3wb
Reaction score
My work computer won't let me remote view......I can get you a screen shot a little later, but the resolution was set to the highest setting, bitrate was variable.....i'll work on those screen shots.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I noticed with the same bitrate on VBR and CBR, on my Dahua 4MP.... The VBR looked quite awful compared to CBR.
Switch to CBR = Constant Bit Rate and see how it looks then.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Screenshot is off a 27" iMac using playback over remote view.
I think the problem is that you are viewing the sub-stream and not the mainstream. That's 640x480 and your iMac is upscaling it. Don't use a screenshot. Use the capture button in the Web-GUI, this will save a full-size jpeg.

VBR 4096 is fine, it will produce images better than you are showing. Don't change it to CBR, that's a red-herring.

aframe99

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh boy......while attempting to make some of the suggested modifications I seem to have screwed something up.....I can now only view the mainstream on one of the cameras on live view (interestingly they are all still viewable through the web portal for the device itself). I've tried rebooting and some other things, but still a work in progress.....I'll start over if I have to no biggie......anyways.... Del Boy I was def viewing the mainstream and the image originally posted was from the event recording playback which was set to the highest settings. I tried the capture you recommended and I'll attach to this for your viewing. Thanks again for all the input everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry again....that pic was at the 1080P setting.....

Attachments

aframe99

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting and maybe the issue.......I can't get two of the cameras to be viewable in live mode over the web portal without limiting the image size to 1080P and the BR to 2048......anything higher and they won't load. Maybe an issue with how I'm viewing the images over my network and the limitations of it???

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you watch the mainstream it can switch it to the substream if it can't keep up.

TBH, using a Mac for anything like this is a pain and massively outside the scope of what you got a Mac for. (I have a MBP, so not a Mac basher). If you have access to any other type of normal computer then use that and save yourself a huge headache.

Are you using iVMS on your Mac? If not, get it on there, it's easier than using Firefox (which I assume you are using to log into the NVR?)

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is a very odd issue. It's either a mac thing or your on crappy wifi or something.

When you can get it streaming properly again, try going constant bitrate and say 6144, or 8192kbps for bit rate and see how it looks then. Just to see if it makes any difference.

Also make sure you make these changes through the NVR as if done on the camera they will revert back to what it was set to previously on the NVR.

aframe99

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, so I was able to get some better image quality.....thanks everyone! I set the mainstream to 2048 and the "event" stream to 4096. That way I can view the images live on the web portal and when I view playback the quality seems to be much improved which is ok by me. Del I use safari and it's been good enough for me. Now that I'm up and running I should be ok because I mainly utilize motion detection on the IVMS app for the iPhone just to check in on who is coming and going on the property. If there's an issue I will have the higher qual images on the NVR to access if needed. Michelin the desktop is hardwired and the router is a cisco E1000.....getting older and that may be the issue too i guess. Thanks again everyone for all the input.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the playback quality is fine for you that's good. If not, might be better to up the bitrate so you get more recorded detail which may come in handy later. If your NVR only records when motion is detected (event) then 4096 is good enough.

If you mainly view on the local network I would sort out the slowness on the deksktop. However, for remote viewing offsite I recommend the substream on 704x576 as mainstream just isn't feasible unless you have very fast internet connection.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Safari and Hikvision isn't a good combination. I use Safari on my MBP but have Firefox installed just for Hikvision and stuff that doesn't work with Safari.

iVMS app on the Mac will tell you if it's a network issues (between Mac and NVR) or CPU issue. It's well worth installing.