Important! About dahua hacked Chinese cams and NVR issues

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Guys.

Dahua just will release the latest new firmware, There has 2 points need all guys who are using or plan to use the hacked Chinese models.

1. English language firmware will not run on a chinese region NVR. The NVR may be "bricked" by trying.
2. Chinese region cameras will not work with an NVR running english language firmware (i.e. a non-chinese-region NVR).
3. A chinese region NVR will not work with non-chinese-region cameras.

How to know they are original english or not, just go to dahua website to check if can be searched.

https://www.dahuasecurity.com/
This is very important now, the NVR firmware we get supporting this function now, so please double check to download and upgrade if your system not original english. Some models like NVR41xx,NVR42xx, NVR52XX, with POE also has hacked too. Just be careful before you buy! Our device all are original english ones, normally i will tell clients the models they asked not original english.

Solution is using 3rd party software to work with the cams or not upgrade NVR anymore.
Andy

Last edited:

Jagradang

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
do you have a link for the latest firmware? Not sure if i need to upgrade to it, i have a NVR5216 purchased from you with 3x ipc5231 cams

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I want to make sure I understand this correctly by restating it in more familiar english terms, and anybody can tell me if I have it wrong. Andy, please forgive me. Your english is at least a million times better than my chinese.

Dahua is about to release a new round of firmware for NVRs that contains geographic region restrictions as follows:
1. English language firmware will not run on a chinese region NVR. The NVR may be "bricked" by trying.
2. Chinese region cameras will not work with an NVR running english language firmware (i.e. a non-chinese-region NVR).

This info generates two questions from me:
1) What is the latest version NVR firmware that does not contain the restrictions?
2) Will the new firmware catch chinese region cameras running cor35vet's firmware, which I think is english language firmware with the camera region detection disabled. (I suspect this will be answered only by trying it).

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I want to make sure I understand this correctly by restating it in more familiar english terms, and anybody can tell me if I have it wrong. Andy, please forgive me. Your english is at least a million times better than my chinese.

Dahua is about to release a new round of firmware for NVRs that contains geographic region restrictions as follows:

This info generates two questions from me:
1) What is the latest version NVR firmware that does not contain the restrictions?
2) Will the new firmware catch chinese region cameras running cor35vet's firmware, which I think is english language firmware with the camera region detection disabled. (I suspect this will be answered only by trying it).
I will post here soon. But have to test here firstly then released, because if not suits will make the camera crashed. aha, thanks for your pure english explaination.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
do you have a link for the latest firmware? Not sure if i need to upgrade to it, i have a NVR5216 purchased from you with 3x ipc5231 cams
try to upload here, system said security reason, was reject... have to check with Fenderman

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You might need to put it in a zip file first. Forum software can be stupid about file types that are allowed.

pb11186

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Curious. When i am searching on Aliexpress, how do you confirm if one is fake or not?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

crossStreet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why is that amazing? Anyone can sell things through Amazon.
When you buy a HDD listed as 1 TB but receive a 100 GB one you've been scammed and Amazon takes down such listings. Likewise, if you are buying a Dahua and receive not a Dahua (and that camera is apparently not a Dahua as it cannot be found on the Dahua website), then you've been scammed as well.

crossStreet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
how do you confirm if one is fake or not?
The very first post says that you should search the Dahua website for a particular model you see on AliExpress. If you don't see the model there it is a hack or whatever - don't buy it.

Last edited:

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
These aren't "fake" Dahua camera's. They are intended for the Chinese market only (real Dahua) and the sellers are using hacked firmware to add English text to the cameras. When you see "firmware can't be upgraded", it's a Chinese only market camera.

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When dealing with Chinese products or high tech products manufactured in China it's always best to only buy from known reputable sources. Many of these sellers are just scam artists. Amazon, AliExpress, Ebay... these are all sites that facilitate this now for their own profit. They don't care about the legitimacy of these sellers until someone forces them to by pointing out fraud at which point they have a legal obligation... until then they are content to rake in profits and let the buyers sort it out. It's really sad to see that Amazon, most specifically, has allowed past trust to be leveraged by crooks for Amazon's own profit.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Curious. When i am searching on Aliexpress, how do you confirm if one is fake or not?

Hi @pb11186

I highly recommend following Santiago's advice. ONLY buy from vendors who have been recommended by other ipct members.

There's just too many bad and deceptive vendors and products.

See the vendor section for 2 vendors which have earned the support of ipct membership. ( Nelly's Security and Andy from Empire Tec )

When dealing with Chinese products or high tech products manufactured in China it's always best to only buy from known reputable sources. Many of these sellers are just scam artists. Amazon, AliExpress, Ebay... these are all sites that facilitate this now for their own profit. They don't care about the legitimacy of these sellers until someone forces them to by pointing out fraud at which point they have a legal obligation... until they they are content to rake in profits and let the buyers sort it out. It's really sad to see that Amazon, most specifically, has allowed past trust to be leveraged by crooks for Amazon's own profit.

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Also if the price is $50+ less than anywhere else.... One thing I've noticed on most of the eBay sellers and some on Aliexpress and even Amazon are some note somewhere on the page that you should not attempt to upgrade the firmware. If you see that anywhere, about a 99% chance it is a China market device.

Engee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
sooner or later they will hack the restrictions andy is saying about

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that. I've been involved over the years with a LOT of things related to hacked firmware like car ECU tuning, custom firmware on routers, custom roms on Android phones, custom firmware on certain car stereos, etc. Problem is nearly all of these industries are rapidly moving towards having full digitally signed firmware, encrypted firmware, etc. On many things that has already taken place. Is it impossible? No, one could get into specialized tools (clips and chip burners) that can directly attach to a rom chip but that is far far more difficult and impractical and even then in many cases it might still be impossible. Technology is rapidly moving and security issues have become a huge problem to the point that nearly every industry is working fast to encrypt and digitally sign every bit of code. It is already taking place on the newest vehicles - no more custom tuning. Eventually that will put manufacturers of the custom tune software and devices out of business. Already taking place right here on Dahua devices. The rest are coming. They already implemented signed firmware updates just over the past year. Much of this will also essentially put an end to grey market products across all sorts of industries and make it so that if you get a grey market device, then you get the device the way it is and that is it. No way to update it, ever.. Big security exploit or some great new feature in a new firmware, tough luck.

Here are a couple of more docs from Dahua regarding security.

https://www.dahuasecurity.com/asset/upload/download/20180306/IoT-Security-Technology-White-Paper_V1_0_0-20180104.pdf

https://dahuatech.ro/downloads/Device_initialization_and_password_reset_V2_EN_20170907.pdf

The release notes on the newest NVR5216 firmware is pretty telling too.
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/asset/upload/Firmware/20180525/NVR5X-4KS2_V3-215-0000001-0-R-20180326_Release-Note-V1_3-20180508.pdf

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
sooner or later they will hack the restrictions andy is saying about
Not only what Mixman said but also who wants to deal with hacked firmware on something that is used for security purposes? Not only are you at the mercy of the hacker/programer, you are also not likely to get an updated version once hacked.

IMHO Your just asking for a world of hurt.

crossStreet

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ONLY buy from vendors who have been recommended by other ipct members.
I've been buying from AliExpress for a few years (around 30 or so items bought), and not once I ran into a bad sale or a scam. The rules I use are:
-There should be good feedback from previous buyers of the item, the more the better.
-The store should have been around for a reasonably long time (years).
Unless I am buying something cheap I do avoid sellers without orders or feedback.
These rules should minimize your chances of getting scammed on AliExpress.

PS: AliExpress website sucks