Improve CPU Usage

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So i've started from scratch on configuring BI 5 with new set of 6 x Dahua Cameras

Previous HikVision x 6 had CPU usage around 5-10% with RAM around 1GB on a NUC . All were 2MP cameras

Currently recording 6 x Dahua Cameras: CPU usage around 40% and RAM is around 2.6GB

Just trying to see if I can improve this or this is the best I can get?

The main settings I can see are :

Hardware accelerated decode: Intel
Each Camera has the following recording

Image Size: 2688 x 1520
Max Rate: 400000 [25.00 fps]
Recording: Continuous
Video Format: BI DVR (Use FLAC audio compression ticket)
Video Compression: Direct-to-disc
Any other setting I should give here?

Are the above good and stick with it or some change to improve things? Just want to get a feel of my setting and recommendations :)

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you using sub streams? Big resource saver, implemented in recent BI updates.
Also, 25 fps is a little high for typical surveillance cams. Most of my cams are at 15fps, with a few mission critical cams set higher.

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you using sub streams? Big resource saver, implemented in recent BI updates.
Not sure what that is / what it means :) how do i check / uncheck it? I saw that setting in the camera UI itself but didn't pay much attention to it..

Also, 25 fps is a little high for typical surveillance cams. Most of my cams are at 15fps, with a few mission critical cams set higher.
So should I drop it to 15fps?

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check out the substream guide, and there are many posts regarding setup. This is a huge savings in system resources.
Yes, recommend 15fps for your cams. I do have a higher frame rate for some cams (LPR, Front Door, Front Yard), where motion & ID are crucial.

its

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check out the substream guide, and there are many posts regarding setup. This is a huge savings in system resources.
Thanks.. having a read.. Followed substream guide and CPU Optimization guide I have done the following

1) Enabled substream for 6 cameras and done the following setting on each camera

1602738237495.png

2) Reduced "Limit live preview rate" from 30 to 6

Now my CPU is around 10% and RAM is 2GB approx .. Nice :)

Is the above ok and any other recommendation? I believe these settings won't impact my full main stream recording and quality

Last edited: