Improve deployment

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

Long time reader here, Thanks all for the insights.
I bought IP-HDW2231R-ZS few months and it's doing great. Looking to expend.
Camera's will be connected to BI5.

I have it installed where the map show Green dot, and its doing fine job. (Not at night unfortunately)
I'm looking to add more cameras, I have junkbox's at red.

Should I continue with HDW2231R or I will benefit from PTZ or 5231 ?
What should I do in order to be able to see that thief next time, this time went to my neighbor (video 2nd post)?

firefox_T8Hx2tB0rO.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It doesnt look like the IR is on on that camera at all... do you have it turned off?

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It doesnt look like the IR is on on that camera at all... do you have it turned off?
Yes, because the wall near is reflecting to much and destroy the image. I've tried to move it away as possible and keep the window there covered.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’d turn the camera a bit more to avoid the IR reflection then, you’ll still see someone approaching the window. What you have is worthless at night. A little IR reflection would still be far better than that.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have it synced to the lights, once BI detect movement it initiate the lights. but I see your point.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have it synced to the lights, once BI detect movement it initiate the lights. but I see your point.
What lights? If they were "synced", something's not working. as I never saw any lights.
I agree with @bigredfish ...some IR glare would be better than what you have now, which is useless.
If you've moved the cam as much as possible to avoid the glare, perhaps a shield could be attached to one side of the cam to block the glare so you could still get the desired view.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Having motion turn on the lights will blind the cameras.have the lights on from sunset to sunrise. Your cameras are mounted to high.

Test do not guess. Get the 5gallon bucket, 2x4 test setup. Have a person with a hoodie and sun glasses do a simulated break-in, it you can not identity them, then your system needs more work.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What lights? If they were "synced", something's not working. as I never saw any lights.
I agree with @bigredfish ...some IR glare would be better than what you have now, which is useless.
If you've moved the cam as much as possible to avoid the glare, perhaps a shield could be attached to one side of the cam to block the glare so you could still get the desired view.
BI didn't detect movement, only when he left and moved quickly, second after the video shown here.
I'll do some tests, because once light are on the image is great, wonder how it works together with IR.

Interesting, What can I use as shield from glares ?

Having motion turn on the lights will blind the cameras.have the lights on from sunset to sunrise. Your cameras are mounted to high.

Test do not guess. Get the 5gallon bucket, 2x4 test setup. Have a person with a hoodie and sun glasses do a simulated break-in, it you can not identity them, then your system needs more work.
It seems to work fine with the lights, i'll post some of it later.
I know its a little high, but I must put it there because otherwise they will be reachable from the fence.
WhatsApp Image 2019-07-07 at 15.28.05.jpeg

The 2231 and 5231 sensors are essentially the same.
So, unless I need Audio its practically the same ? Same IR power as well ?

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes. the 2231 has 1 less sub-stream and some minor processor limitations than the 5231, but I have both installed and you can't tell the difference.

If you are trying to cover the trash bin, dedicate a camera to that. Get it zoomed in and tweaked for that purpose and get another camera for the other area.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes. the 2231 has 1 less sub-stream and some minor processor limitations than the 5231, but I have both installed and you can't tell the difference.

If you are trying to cover the trash bin, dedicate a camera to that. Get it zoomed in and tweaked for that purpose and get another camera for the other area.
Thanks!
And no, I don't care about the bin, just windows and road.

Also, I'm looking to cover the parking bay with another camera (Red dot), Rear Patio with another one.

Last edited:

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some pics from try and error
1. No IR
20190707_221618.png
2. White Light on
20190707_221503.png
3. IR at 50
vlc_2019-07-07_22-19-02.png
4. IR at 2
vlc_2019-07-07_22-19-24.png

Seems like IR at 2 give good night view, and also enhance the movement detection that will results white light on.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
another question please. my BI show bitrate at 550kB/s, while I can see that it should be 1500 according to best practice.
Is that ok ?
upload_2019-7-16_15-38-27.png
upload_2019-7-16_15-39-22.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
550 kB/s in Blue Iris status means 550 kilobytes per second which is 4400 Kbps or kilobits per second, so it is actually producing a slightly higher bit rate than your set limit. Usually you can tell which is which based on the capitalization of the letter B. B for bytes, and b for bits. But not everybody gets it right.

You could certainly increase the bit rate in the camera's web config (second screenshot) if you wanted though. The I Frame Interval matching the frame rate does make it more bandwidth-hungry after all.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BI didn't detect movement, only when he left and moved quickly, second after the video shown here.
I'll do some tests, because once light are on the image is great, wonder how it works together with IR.

Interesting, What can I use as shield from glares ?

It seems to work fine with the lights, i'll post some of it later.
I know its a little high, but I must put it there because otherwise they will be reachable from the fence.
View attachment 44464

What an unusual way to mount that camera. I tend to mount them the the IR lights above the lens or if vertical install with the lens being orientated closer than the IR to the action. I would try putting the camera in the lights up orientation first. If no improvement I would remove wall bracket and experiment with different wall bracket orientations (rotate clockwise or counter clockwise) yeah its a pain but essentially you may be looking down through you illumination. Clear as mud, eh.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What an unusual way to mount that camera. I tend to mount them the the IR lights above the lens or if vertical install with the lens being orientated closer than the IR to the action. I would try putting the camera in the lights up orientation first. If no improvement I would remove wall bracket and experiment with different wall bracket orientations (rotate clockwise or counter clockwise) yeah its a pain but essentially you may be looking down through you illumination. Clear as mud, eh.
I actually didn't think about rotating the camera.
So you suggest to put the IR opposite to the wall?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 on that cam 180 degree rotation (to put the 2 IR emitters above the lens) as suggested by @SquareEyes .

Additionally, if you ever plan on using that lamp below the cam and left of that shuttered window (?), it needs to be a flood type with a housing/shield to direct the light downward toward the target area and away from the camera...what looks like a standard light bulb is throwing light into the camera, causing glare and affecting its exposure.