Improving Garage Door Opener Security?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was just thinking about how pathetic and obsolete garage door opener security is said to be. Also garage door openers tend to be used as-is for the life of the unit -- so whatever technology they use is always obsolete. I wonder if a much more secure scheme could be whipped up? Perhaps an Android app on your phone and a Raspberry Pi wired to the garage door wires? Use your home wifi to connect the the Rasp-Pi?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of solutions are available. Just hook one of them to the leads for the wall switch and hold the program button until you've erased all the remotes. If it's old enough to have a dip switch on the opener you can cut off the antenna.

One thing to note, some newer openers with a yellow learn button are no longer compatible with a basic doorbell type button. Instead they use their own serial protocol and most attempts to interface with these involve soldering wires to one of the remotes.

Here are a few of the products / projects that are out there:
OpenGarage

https://www.amazon.com/GarageMate-garage-Android-Simple-Secure/dp/B01MCV1QZF/
https://www.amazon.com/Remote-Control-Compatible-GoogleHome-Assistant/dp/B07MPYPHZZ/

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh, I see. So there are various available products which do exactly what I described? One issue I can see is that a phone app is not as easy to access as a dedicated button on a transmitter.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, I see. So there are various available products which do exactly what I described? One issue I can see is that a phone app is not as easy to access as a dedicated button on a transmitter.
If your phone has NFC you could put an NFC sticker in the car and set things up so it triggers if you tap your phone to the sticker. Something like tasker would probably required to do this. You could also try to set things up so you can use siri or hey google to open or close the door.

mycatjest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
after having an attempted garage break this week, via physical attack (its a sectional door with an over head electric opener, and uses rolling code technology. and as the local crims are using signal boosters , eg replay attacks to steal keyless cars... is making me review my security further..

my sectional door withstood a pry bar / crowbar attempt , and them trying to force lift it as well. they never got in , -its also alarmed and with cctv on the inside as well as outside - arrests are imminent...as they have been id by the cops thanks to the cctv

cant find any info on how to physically secure it even further -i presume the motor pushes back when it tries to be forced open, but thats a presumption..

i did think about having a timer on the opener connection, or connected to my intruder alarm system, eg system armed, disarms the electric to the motor, or similar through home assistant - but don't know if that weakens the security, with the motor switched off- i can find zero info online, other than a guy who is using linear actuators to secure the door...which is a interesting approach...

Reaction score
I have to learn more about remote garage door security upgrades...
for now, I bought a manual sliding lock that no computer can defeat :) Granted, my 2 car garage is my wood working shop so no need to remote open it anyway. Could be used when you know for sure the door needs to be locked down: vacation or you are already home, etc.
61IcTaDL+-L._SL1500_.jpg

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have to learn more about remote garage door security upgrades...
for now, I bought a manual sliding lock that no computer can defeat :) Granted, my 2 car garage is my wood working shop so no need to remote open it anyway. Could be used when you know for sure the door needs to be locked down: vacation or you are already home, etc.
View attachment 44205
When we went on vacation when I was a kid, my dad would put large (~10") metal C-Clamps on the garage track just above the rollers and unplug the opener. That was in addition to the lock attached to the door.

Dudester

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have used this model now for 7 years...works every time and no worries about unbolting door and opening it accidentally.

https://www.amazon.com/Liftmaster-841LM-Automatic-Garage-Door/dp/B074L9JQQR/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=liftmaster+deadbolt&qid=1562155758&s=hi&sr=1-3
When the lift master wall switch goes bad,it will open the lock and the roll the door open also.Had 2 that where only around 2 years old at our shop we just had to replace. Opened the door by itself in the middle of the night. If we wouldn’t have remotely check the cameras we would haven’t of known it opened.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mycatjest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok ive spoken to the guy who fitted my door, because i have a sommer garage door opener , it has both rolling code security and also the drive system locks into the chain, when its not moving, if there is a poweroutage, drive system is locked

Netwalker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It’s pretty tough once people start coming at your stuff with tools.

I’ve wondered about a couple of the recent modern “minimalist” home builds around me. One has a full one piece glass tilt up garage door and the other looks like a car dealership from all the windows they put in the garage. Now I like natural light and all, but why put your luxury cars on display like that? It’s just begging for a home invasion imo, not to mention way over the top snobbery - their neighbors might cheer on the bad guys.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe that the biggest problem with garage doors is leaving them open, forgetting to close them. Most garage door openers do not have close timers on them, because of legal liability. I have a simple time that is connected to the wall button close switch, it senses the door open and closes it after 5 minutes. (i got it on amazon, but it is no longer sold there). I also have a camera mounted inside the garage pointed out.

The door opened uses a rotating code system. NOT wifi.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
When the lift master wall switch goes bad,it will open the lock and the roll the door open also.Had 2 that where only around 2 years old at our shop we just had to replace. Opened the door by itself in the middle of the night. If we wouldn’t have remotely check the cameras we would haven’t of known it opened.
Was that a jackshaft model ?