In Dash Vehicle LPR system

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi there

I am working on a project that would include an ANPR system that would be installed in a vehicle. Whilst the vehicle would be mobile it would read license plates of vehicles in its view and alert if a suspicious or target vehicle has been recognized. This system should communicate to a cloud based database (using a mobile network) that is populated with database of suspect licenses plates.

Are there any suggestions for a system that has been tried and tested?

Thank you in advance.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I think those systems send the data back to HQ, HQ computers relay it to an LPR system and do the look-up, then the data is relayed back to the patrol car. It works pretty quickly, but I don't see a similar system as practical for civilian use.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Watch the show parking wars, they show a mobile LPR in action to find those that need booted over tickets.
I looked once to see how much the system they were using cost. It was something like around $25-$30K per unit/vehicle plus ongoing support and licensing costs. That show was filmed a while back so I'm sure that's come down a lot but I'd bet still in the $10-$15K-ish range.

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@empireandy , Do you have a possible solution?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Commercial vehicle LPR systems start around $15k. They use multiple cameras mounted around the outside of the vehicle. You'd have to build one custom if you want it cheaper.

Kalli11011

n3wb
Reaction score
Take a look at this:
They are using the new S74 camera-system with onboard lpr analytics.

“Traditional patrol vehicle systems would cost anywhere between $17K – $25K per car, but we’ve been able to reduce the cost to under $5K with our system” said Lt. Brian Hess, C.O. of the Real Time Crime Center.