In ground camera placement ideas

tran383

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looking for some camera options to install pointing left and right in the spot marked below. We originally wanted to install a fence and mount the cameras on the fence but decided not to build the fence so I have two CAT6 burial runs under the rocks. Would love to see some ideas of what people have done, was thinking a large boulder and bullets on each size with some plants around it. Is the low placement ideal for an LPR on one of the cameras, thoughts, suggestions, comments? Thanks.

IMG_0005 copy.jpg

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
was thinking a large boulder and bullets on each size with some plants around it.
Love your front yard. Drought tolerant and no mowing.

My mind turns towards using some of those larger rocks you have used to do the boundary along the footpath there.

Ground mount the cameras on a small concrete slab using junction boxes, paint everything to match, and then stack the rocks over them so the cameras are peeking out from within the pile of rocks. If you wanted to be able to remove the cover and replace it easily you could make a base that covered the cameras out of marine ply, glue the rocks to that, and then bolt the whole thing down.

Remember the LPR camera is useless for anything else at night, so if you want to cover the footpath you may need to run some more cables.

I'd probably go for a B5442-Z4 for LPR and a couple of T5442 in 6mm to cover the footpath in each direction

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Only issue I can think of with the rocks being placed is IR back reflection clouding the image. None of my cameras like anything near their lens unless the object is way off axis. Otherwise, it's halo city when the IR illuminator comes on. I guess you could also go with separate illuminators.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Only issue I can think of with the rocks being placed is IR back reflection clouding the image. None of my cameras like anything near their lens unless the object is way off axis. Otherwise, it's halo city when the IR illuminator comes on. I guess you could also go with separate illuminators.
What angle lenses do you have on those on those cameras?

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's really not a matter of the lens angle. It's the IR illuminators output cone touching any nearby objects and reflecting back onto the front glass of the camera. That creates halos whenever the IR is on. You can demonstrate this yourself by putting objects within a foot of the camera but just out of the lens peripheral vision. You won't see the offending object, but you will see the IR halo from its back reflection onto the camera. Just something to be aware of if you plan to use the built-in IR.

If you want LPR and scenery at night, you might consider wiring for eventually four cameras at that location. Two for LPR. Two for scenery. I know I wish I had wired for four cameras in a similar location. I'd show you a pict of my lamp post with two PTZ's mounted, but that would stick out like sore thumb in your setting.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's the IR illuminators output cone touching any nearby objects and reflecting back onto the front glass of the camera
He'd probably need to do a few tests stacks, but I don't see that being an issue unless he starts placing rocks in or near the FOV forward of the lens, especially if he is using 6mm or longer lenses.

tran383

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's really not a matter of the lens angle. It's the IR illuminators output cone touching any nearby objects and reflecting back onto the front glass of the camera. That creates halos whenever the IR is on. You can demonstrate this yourself by putting objects within a foot of the camera but just out of the lens peripheral vision. You won't see the offending object, but you will see the IR halo from its back reflection onto the camera. Just something to be aware of if you plan to use the built-in IR.

If you want LPR and scenery at night, you might consider wiring for eventually four cameras at that location. Two for LPR. Two for scenery. I know I wish I had wired for four cameras in a similar location. I'd show you a pict of my lamp post with two PTZ's mounted, but that would stick out like sore thumb in your setting.
I thought about a lamp post or something but it just doesn't blend well. I can drop a few T5442 6mm to see what it looks like at night. The goal is to blend it in to the landscape just to see what's happening closer to the street level around the front yard, I do have a few other cameras mounted closer to the house but I'd figure I make use of the lines I've already dropped. Now I need to find a way to mount the turrets in the landscape to make it feel somewhat natural. Probably won't do a LPR in this spot. Thanks for all the suggestions.

tran383

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Love your front yard. Drought tolerant and no mowing.

My mind turns towards using some of those larger rocks you have used to do the boundary along the footpath there.

Ground mount the cameras on a small concrete slab using junction boxes, paint everything to match, and then stack the rocks over them so the cameras are peeking out from within the pile of rocks. If you wanted to be able to remove the cover and replace it easily you could make a base that covered the cameras out of marine ply, glue the rocks to that, and then bolt the whole thing down.

Remember the LPR camera is useless for anything else at night, so if you want to cover the footpath you may need to run some more cables.

I'd probably go for a B5442-Z4 for LPR and a couple of T5442 in 6mm to cover the footpath in each direction
Thanks for the mounting and camera suggestions. I'll give those a try. I left of a lot of cable in that area so there's some room to play with for placement, just need to bring in a few more large rocks to blend it in.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you seen the fake landscaping rocks? Like those shown here (just as an example):

I considered doing that for a big pond that I have but never got around to it. Most I saw at the time weren't all that great looking but I didn't really look very hard. That would be easy and blend in well (assuming a good representation at least).

tran383

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Played around with this fixture tonight and it looks like it might work. It’s a pretty tight fit inside so I’ll need to see if anything needs to be added inside to cushion it bit. Looks like I won’t be able to use the IR because of the glass. I would have to strip the cat6 cable shielding to be able to fit it inside the original holes and terminate the cable inside the fixture. Thoughts?

IMG_0317.JPG63229334954__6B81D885-0E63-4771-B62A-6433508727E0.JPGIMG_0312.JPGIMG_0311.JPGIMG_0319.jpg

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would paint the camera black and not worry about putting that piece of glass back over it. Nobody will notice the camera if it is black inside the container. I would then have the camera up closer to the lip of that fixture so that you could run IR and not get bounce off that.

Can you send a pic of the UPC or box or something that the fixture came in - I haven't been able to find one large enough.

tran383

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would paint the camera black and not worry about putting that piece of glass back over it. Nobody will notice the camera if it is black inside the container. I would then have the camera up closer to the lip of that fixture so that you could run IR and not get bounce off that.

Can you send a pic of the UPC or box or something that the fixture came in - I haven't been able to find one large enough.
IMG_0314.JPG

tran383

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just found out only one of my direct burial cables are working. For some reason the other one is dead, so bummed out. Now I’m looking for a self powered splitter and hope that works. Any recommendations? I only found one on Amazon. Put the lamp together quickly tonight to test it without IR.

IMG_0322.JPGIMG_0323.JPGIMG_0320.JPG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tran383

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think there’s a lot of glare and hazy from the glass lens so more tinkering tonight and took the advice and just popped the glass out and did some Plasti Dip work on the camera. Was thinking I can set the camera in the fixture and then run a bead of black silicone around the camera to keep it in place since the glass isn’t there to push up against it anymote. Here’s some more photos.

IMG_0326.JPGIMG_0324.JPG

tran383

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike46052

n3wb
Reaction score
Really like this idea as I have a similar desert landscape. Where did you get that fixture do you have a product link for it?