In the market for new cameras

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought a new house, it has been a while since last posted here. I am sure that the market has changed some, any rising stars? What cameras should I bee looking at? Basically meed maybe four for the back of the house which is pitch dark. I would not mind one ptz for the front of the house. Any advise or suggestions will be appreciated. I do not mind doing some of the leg work, back when I last posted I was going for the Dahuas. Feel free to pm me if you do not want to post in public with some general suggestions.

Thanks

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Starlights (and Dark Fighters) with the 2MP 1/2.8” sensor are still the best bang for the buck (for low light). There’s a newer, less expensive Dahua Starlight varifocal model that’s popular ... 2231 ... no mic though.

There are some newer models with 4K (8MP) 1/1.8” sensors that are getting closer to the Starlights in low-light, but they’re not there yet.

Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY) is still the best place to get Dahuas. The forum here sells some Hikvision models under their own brand (IPCT), but no varifocal low-light models yet.

Blue Iris > NVR in terms of motion detection, UI, and ease of use (IMO).

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a new house, it has been a while since last posted here. I am sure that the market has changed some, any rising stars? What cameras should I bee looking at? Basically meed maybe four for the back of the house which is pitch dark. I would not mind one ptz for the front of the house. Any advise or suggestions will be appreciated. I do not mind doing some of the leg work, back when I last posted I was going for the Dahuas. Feel free to pm me if you do not want to post in public with some general suggestions.

Thanks
Hi @Redemption

Recommend picking up one of the Dahua OEM 2MP starlight IPC-HDW2231xx ( rp-z? ) and a PoE power source ( small PoE switch ) a length of good cat5e/6 ( copper not CCA, 23-24 AWG ) and using just one camera for now to learn more and test possible locations.

Don't worry, it will take some time to learn this and use the cliff notes as a guide.

If you have a spare PC around you can use it to test Blue Iris and Dahua's SmartPSS and compare and contrast the 2. The SmartPSS software will be similar to the NVR software. We have a large number of members here using Blue Iris - so there's a lot of good info in the forum on that.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras, strongly recommended for outside use.

For the NVR buy one from the same manufacture as the camera. But one with at least 50% more camera support than you think you will need.

Or use Blue Iris

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for all the great suggestions, this gives me a good starting point. Will post back with specific questions after my research. Thanks again!