Indoor Camera With BI and App Access

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When we are away I usually use OpenVPN to get into our network and look at the cameras via BlueIris. My wife doesn't like that and she wants an app to access multiple indoor cameras and that allows her to PTZ the cams and have 2-way audio "communication" (with the dog). What might complicate things further is that I all (outdoor) cameras that go into BI are on a separate subnet that is only connected to BI and has no access to the internet. Considering all this, what is the best camera for such a scenario and how do I accomplish this?

My thoughts are that I probably can't have the indoor cameras on the same subnet as the outdoor cameras as otherwise they would not be accessible through the internet/app. So I will have to put the indoor cams on the other subnet along with all other devices/computers. Since the BI computer is connected to both subnets (via two different NICs) I can still have those indoor cams in BI. Hence, both I (through BI) and my wife (through an app) can access the same indoor cams. Or is there a better solution?

Considering the above, are there certain cams where you have to decide between access through the internet/app OR through BI but not both? If so, what cams would support both?

Last but not least, the Amcrest IP2M-841B-V3 seems the most popular camera here (I wish they had a PoE version of it as I don't like the splitter dangling behind the cam). Does their app work pretty well with multiple of their cams? We currently have a couple WansView (and another 2 Q-See) cams so my wife's reference point is the WansView app.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Run the VPN on her phone all the time, then she doesn't need to deal with it, she would just open the app.
Or use the tasker app on her phone and set it up it will start the vpn automatically when the BI app is opened.
The other cams you have are using P2P most likely, and that is a security risk.

Reactions: rfj

rfj

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@looney2ns I just purchased tasker. Are you using it yourself? If so, would you mind sharing a screenshot how you have this set up, i.e. start VPN when the BlueIris app is being started.