Inexpensive paint sprayer recommendations

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've painting some cams to match the color of my house and while I can prime them with spray primer, I need a sprayer to use the custom paint. Timingwise, I don't have time to send a paint sample to have someone make custom spray cans, but I'm looking for a cheap sprayer that can do the job. Anyone have any Amazon recommendations that they have used?

philcav7

n3wb
Reaction score
Professional cabinet finisher here…

I’ve never used them, but check for preval sprayers at a local paint store. The are an aerosol with a canisters for you to add your own paint. This might be a good solution for spraying such a small amount of product. I would think you’d want to thin the paint a bit. Under $10 and disposable.

I you have an air compressor, an inexpensive HVLP gun would probably suffice with minimal clean up. A 1.8mm needle is probably a good starting point for medium/heavy bodied paints. 1.4 for thin materials. Honestly, for spraying some cameras, a $20 harbor freight gun will suffice. They’re not great and rust after a while, but totally doable for small items. HVLP results is more about thinning, fluid, and air settings than the gun itself. I can probably spray out a better finish with a $20 gun than you will with a $900 gun.

You’ll want to do a scuff sand to promote adhesion and using a good bonding primer before painting. Also, if painting dark colors be aware of the fact they will absorb heat from the sun.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Or an inexpensive airbrush with aerosol can/small compressor. Basically the same as the Preval but with more control. I have a better one that I've used to paint some cams (and other things obviously) but you don't need anything great for that. Handy things to have around for paint touch-ups.

Ditto above about thinning, settings, and prep. Also, much better to go with more very light coats. However close you think that you should be when spraying, back it up a little and do less at one time. Dust, let it dry at least to flashing off. Then another very light coat. You'll get a better finish that way and no runs/drips which will be irresistible to try to fix and then you'll just F' things up worse when you try. ; )