Initial $ outlay

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After reading install (and other) threads and making notes of mistakes to avoid, lessons learned, preferred methods/configurations/equipment, and specific costs from the most reliable/highest quality providers - it seems reasonable to come up with a total initial outlay for an 8 camera Dahua system w/ BI.

Residential home and yard - outfitted with:
8 Dahua Starlight cameras plus all mounting hardware/junction boxes/etc. = $2,000
HP OptiPlex (refurb) with Blue Iris/WD Purple Drive = $1,000
POE switch and other networking accessories = $1,000
Spool of Cat6 and all tools/equip for properly running and terminating cable = $1,000
Toss in an extra $1,000 for inevitable overruns and gotchas...

Assuming no hired help (install/labor/troubleshooting costs) and no expensive mistakes, that's a total of $6,000.

Question: Is $6,000 a reasonable budget for a "buy it once, feel the pain once" 8 camera (Dahua) system with BI?

SLC

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree with @drunkpenguin.
Depending on what Dahua Starlights you are using 8 HDW5231-Z with junction box made for that camera would be $1464.
Depending on what OptiPlex you choose. I got an I5-6500 for around $300, 6TB WD Purple (refurb) $100, and Blue Iris off E-bay for $45 = Around $450
Unmanaged POE Switch for around $100, not sure what other networking accessories you are looking at.
I definitely think your Cat6 cable and tools estimate is high. Should be able to get the necessary tools and cable at a reasonable price.

$6000 is more than enough. Again, depending on what you are purchasing and where you are purchasing from may impact the cost but if you look and wait for a good deal on everything you need you should be able to do it for a lot less.

Last edited:

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Drunk P - appreciate that I'm over estimating. The installation threads and other Dahua threads seem to have nearly endless suggested additional hardware, equipment, gadgets, and networking tools (beyond the big ticket items) that pile on expenses. Understand that the cams themselves are $200 or less, but I was thinking about mounts and junction boxes for each since the mounting locations could be tricky. Ebay has appropriately configured i7's around $600, plus BI software, and 6TB purples are over $200 each - that's how I got to $1,000 on that.

With everything you know now if you had to start from scratch... and you assembled with preferred equipment - could you come in under $4,000?

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Whoops now seeing your post... you addressed my concerns

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After reading install (and other) threads and making notes of mistakes to avoid, lessons learned, preferred methods/configurations/equipment, and specific costs from the most reliable/highest quality providers - it seems reasonable to come up with a total initial outlay for an 8 camera Dahua system w/ BI.

Residential home and yard - outfitted with:
8 Dahua Starlight cameras plus all mounting hardware/junction boxes/etc. = $2,000
HP OptiPlex (refurb) with Blue Iris/WD Purple Drive = $1,000
POE switch and other networking accessories = $1,000
Spool of Cat6 and all tools/equip for properly running and terminating cable = $1,000
Toss in an extra $1,000 for inevitable overruns and gotchas...

Assuming no hired help (install/labor/troubleshooting costs) and no expensive mistakes, that's a total of $6,000.

Question: Is $6,000 a reasonable budget for a "buy it once, feel the pain once" 8 camera (Dahua) system with BI?
HI RobertM

Love the budget!!! Remember to let your wife know this is what it will take to do it right,... and to pick up a few nice toys for yourself once you've got some money left over.

I agree with both drunkpenguin and slc that you'll have some money leftover.

( I am assuming you're in the USA here )
Do keep an eye out on Black Friday specials, you may find a deal on i5/i7 systems and HDDs for your BI system.
Also believe you'll see a deal from Monoprice for some of the parts you'll want to pick up.

Recommend putting your list together and keeping an eye out on deals this next week to save some.

Here's what I would expect your costs to be closer to ( assuming DIY job ):
8 Dahua varifocal starlight cameras + junction boxes / wall mounts < $200 each =< $1600
i5/i7 system + 4TB WD HDD < $700
Used PoE switch or new one <$400
Cat6 ( $100 ) + tools + hardware store stuff ( should same some $ here during black friday ) = $300-1000 [ this depends on what you already have and what you want to buy.. maybe want a nice battery operated drill? ]

So maybe closer to $3000-4000 - and you should even be able to end up spending significantly less than that if you already have tools and are willing to take some time to shop for deals. ( perhaps for $2.5K )

SLC

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@mat200 is on point. This is probably the best time to start finding some deals and cut the budget down which plays right into what @drunkpenguin is saying. Once you start putting cameras up you find a reason to put more up. Then after you get everything set another member posts about another awesome camera or set up that they are using then you convince yourself you need that too :rofl:.

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Drunk - So you were feeling good about your q-see setup - then discovered this forum - inevitably felt your existing rig was ugly - convinced yourself to upgrade (cams, Dell system, POE switch, everything) - got everything tuned all to your liking - sat back and started feeling good about your setup again... what was the first big ticket item that you felt was not good enough or needed upgrading? The switch? Cable runs? PC? What's the equipment or item that you wished you poured big resources at from the very beginning?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Drunk - So you were feeling good about your q-see setup - then discovered this forum - inevitably felt your existing rig was ugly - convinced yourself to upgrade (cams, Dell system, POE switch, everything) - got everything tuned all to your liking - sat back and started feeling good about your setup again... what was the first big ticket item that you felt was not good enough or needed upgrading? The switch? Cable runs? PC? What's the equipment or item that you wished you poured big resources at from the very beginning?
Hi Robert,

The best advice:
1) Over cable, and plan locations well:
Recommend N+1+ to each location, and also run cable/wires for any Alarms / other IoT devices / media center / office at this time.
Consider running any additional electrical at this time to the front door area.
( N = number of cat6 lines you originally planned to install )
Plan your locations well, include extra length of cable ( in case you need to adjust the location a bit )

2nd best advice:
2) Over port:
Get one step up on the PoE switch model with respect to the number of ports you expect to use. ( or NVR if PoE switch embedded in the NVR )
Example, you planned 8 camera system you could have saved a little to get only an 8 port poE switch/NVR - better to go with 16 port version, thus you can easily add another camera or 2.

Have fun!

Last edited:

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With the help of this forum, it seems possible to put together a sensible, effective system - benefiting from lessons learned of smart folks. This site is a great resource - it probably is a thorn in the side of professional installers who lose business to D-I-Y types.Tortuga.JPG .

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Turtles come out of the lowlands/woods off our backyard in the summer. GSDs play with them. IMG_0334.JPG IMG_0337.JPG

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
That looks like a box turtle. I used to see them in upstate NY. Kept em as a pet several times, then let 'em go at the end of the summer....

RobertM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Turtle retired to the woods after the photo op. Female was licking her chops and male was yawning - but encounter was peaceful.