Initializing tilt problem with NSC-4A320-PTZir camera

Eight

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Having a problem with a new H-series NSC-4A320-PTZir camera from Nelly's. I have it mounted under the eve of the house. When I plug the network cable into it (POE), it goes through an initialization process. Goes through 360 degrees of pan a couple of times, then checks tilt. The tilt fails. It moves the lens to the straight down position and makes a noise. It seems to be hitting a stop, but tries to keep going. After about 10 seconds, the lens is pointing straight down and it keeps clicking. When I log into the camera on my desktop, I see a message, "Tilt Checking Failed". The live image shows it pointing at the ground and jumping (for a lack of a better term) when it clicks. The pan function works in the software, but tilt does nothing.

Now, when I dismount the camera and bring it inside, sit it upside down and plug it up, I never have any problems. No weird noises, no error. The tilt function works such that when it gets to the straight up position (equivalent to the straight down position when it is mounted to the house, since it is now upside down), the camera pans 180 degrees and continues tilting. This seems to be the normal functionality of the camera.

So, it seems like when it is mounted, it is hitting some hard stop. Why it doesn't hit this hard mechanical stop when upside down is not known to me. I've searched online and can't find anything. I'll call Nelly's on Monday, but thought I'd check here first.

Any ideas?

Eight

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, I updated firmware. Downloaded the most recent firmware on Nelly's site. Installed fine. Now the PTZ all works fine when I log into the camera, but the configuration tab is messed up. Weird structure on the left, no clickable links. The configuration tab is useless, there literally is nothing that will display. Also, when I add the camera to Blue Iris, in no longer treats it as a PTZ camera.

From the PTZ menu (logging directly into the camera in IE), there is a menu button that allows me to navigate some archaic menu structure on the camera itself. I have the option to restore settings or reset the camera. Will either of those roll back to the previous firmware? I've already tried rebooting the device, no luck.

Eight

n3wb
Reaction score
Nothing has worked. I think the firmware isn’t compatible with my camera (even though it was listed on the product download page for my camera). I’ve rebooted (computer and camera), removed power for 30 minutes, restored settings and reset the camera, updated web xomponents, etc.

Not sure how to get back to my old firmware. Did a little digging, I’ll have to look into it more tomorrow.

Eight

n3wb
Reaction score
Talked to Nelly's today. Guy was super helpful. I was able to use a different browser to access the configuration and all is well. There is also a network setting in the new firmware that needs to be set up for Blue Iris to use the camera properly.