Inline POE switch

Arno Nel

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

Does a switch exist that is powered by 802.3AF and has more than one 802.3AF port?

I have a requirement to “split” a single cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arno Nel

n3wb
Reaction score
Should mention, this will be outdoor, but sheltered

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Should mention, this will be outdoor, but sheltered

Check the POE switch suggestion list in my signature

Besides the one cyber wolf posted there is an OdiySurveil 1x4 PoE splitter, but the input is 802.3at, and the outputs are 802.3af.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you’re looking for a switch which is POWERED by POE and also supplies POE to the devices which are plugged into it then all such switches I’ve seen (including the 2 above I believe) only offer two (2) ports which supply POE.

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi

Does a switch exist that is powered by 802.3AF and has more than one 802.3AF port?

I have a requirement to “split” a single cable.

as gmaster1 posted there are PoE to multiple PoE devices, but note this is PoE+ (802.3at) to multiple PoE (802.3af).

this might be a important distinction if the incoming feed is just 802.3af at not capable of AT.

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
as gmaster1 posted there are PoE to multiple PoE devices, but note this is PoE+ (802.3at) to multiple PoE (802.3af).

this might be a important distinction if the incoming feed is just 802.3af at not capable of AT.
(I used plain old 802.3af in the tests illustrated in those photos.) The box accepts both and the packaging and specs prefer AT, but I’ve never used them on anything other than AF.

mark_whocares

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
(I used plain old 802.3af in the tests illustrated in those photos.) The box accepts both and the packaging and specs prefer AT, but I’ve never used them on anything other than AF.
interesting. I would have thought it would have exceeded the 15.4w ceiling.

gmaster1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I spent a while stress testing and to learn its limits. If you don’t already have one and are into little handy tools for the collection, pick up a PoE multimeter. Little tiny box with a screen that displays power, amps, voltage, etc. Great for troubleshooting longer distances or sketchy wiring etc. And while on the subject, you can also get that in USB form which is even more useful for IoT stuff, since the market is full of really bad quality copper! :)