Inspire 1 INCREDIBLE!!

Git

Banned
Reaction score
Isn't that the one that landed on the White House lawn?

- just kidding. those shots are amazing, thanks for sharing

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
None of the 4k videos will play smoothly on my 4k monitor :( I don't have a wimpy computer either.

That really is incredible.

4k @ 30 FPS pan tilt camera

and it can fly.

good grief.

I don't even have one that can't fly.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ridiculously solid and stable. In the youtube vid a min in when the guy is controlling it the damn thing is barely moving at all.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Vector18, did you get one? I just outfitted my DJI Phantom with a gimbal for a Mobius camera (1080P) but have not flown it yet with the gimbal, just came yesterday from the UK. I just need to figure out how to wire the NAZA controller on the Phantom to the gimbal circuit board so I can control camera tilt remotely and I'm ready. Also need to figure out how to do FPV. I have FPV now with the camera that came with the Phantom, but not with the Mobius.

What's amazing to me is that DJI become the premier leader in the market segment and they started in Shenzhen, not Europe, not the US. Seems like the Chinese are getting more entrepreneurial with independent tech startups.

I bet it won't be long until your surveillance camera drones go on reconnaissance missions when motion is detected to get a closer view. Sound more fun than PTZ. Imagine if someone broke into your home, and the drone followed the getaway car home transmitting video the whole way.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did not get one, but thinking about it. I'm in love with it, but I think I'll wait till the price comes down alittle bit.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That may be a long wait as DJI has held to their pricing for a long time. The Phantom 1 is still $499 since it's launch and all their new stuff gets more expensive.

A lot of cool stuff is coming out of the UK. This one looks to be very interesting with 5MP camera, 1080P video and LED panel for lighting at night. All this in the palm of your hand (2.5" square) for £169.95 (~250 USD). Has some cool features like sonar and obstacle avoidance that make it appealing. Claims to be able to hold a hover unattended like the DJI stuff and will return back to you if it loses connections, so some of the same messaging from the DJI drones. I believe availability is in June timeframe.

http://www.flyzano.com/

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice drone and camera. Looking the the video, it seem to be a high quality item. I am thinking about getting a drone myself but I prefer more customized drone.

The drone I am thinking about starting with is "Spreading Wing" drone but it will require getting all the kits and put it together. I always been a DIY type of a guy and like building my own R/C stuffs and customizing them.

Pretty soon FAA will announce what require to commercialized your drone and I been thinking to get into a real estate or building inspection business with a drone depending what type pilot licence FAA is going to have drone operators to get. One another thing is insurance, being a new thing I bet it gonna cost an arm and leg to get one for a drone business.

BIll

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I had the hots for the inspire but had to let go of it for now. It's experiencing growing pains with the hardware and the software. Perhaps next year. It's an amzing bird, but you really have to know how to fly it. That's a lot of scratch up there to come crashing down in a heap. I started out with a parrot bebop five months ago. It's 500 bucks and it's a decent UAS to learn how to fly. But just two days ago I settled in on the yuneec q500. I haven't flown yet because now the weather has turned brutal for a while with high winds too. It's 1,300 bucks. I chose it over a DJI because frankly, I'm less than impressed with the phantom line and DJI themselves lately. Although the yuneec is new, the release of it has been excellent- the craft is super stable in flight. It's an aerial photography bird for sure- it's not meant to zip around like mad. The video quality is for sure not that of the inspire, but every bit of the phantom and on a much more stable craft. Something to consider if you're into this stuff. I haven't been on the board here that much because I've been neck deep in UAS flying for a while, and all those forums too. Vec- whatever you get if you get, we'll have to meet up and fly sometime down the line.

http://www.yuneec.com/products/AerialUAV/q500-typhoon

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After seeing this video. I can just imagine what our future is going to be. Amazing toy!

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LOL, I have to get one of these for my friend - he wants one of those $2,000.00+ models. I'll put it in a big box so he thinks it's the expensive one he wants and send it to him - can't wait to see his expression when he opens it up. :cool:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't forget to load some dead weight in the box!

Or you could just buy him 200 of the KiiToys quads and pack them in one box.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah LOL they say in the description that the copter was being held by a fishing pole.

I ordered a white one. Should be fun.

I bought a few tiny lightweight helicopters some years ago.

My first helicopter was $40 and had a built in VGA camera (not a live streaming one, you had to plug it in to a PC after to pull imagery). It had only 3 channel control, making it a bit clumsy to fly. But the worst part was the remote control used infrared, not RF, so it required direct (and short) line of sight and did not work outdoors during the day.

Then I got a $100 Blade mCX2. It was much better; lighter, more powerful, and with 4 channel RF control. On day two I experienced a classic cautionary tale. I was flying it in my back yard. I was seeing how high I could make it go when the wind picked it up and carried it away like a leaf. Of course all around me was private property, rooftops, and other people's yards, so I tried desperately to fly it back. No luck of course. A one ounce toy helicopter doesn't stand a chance against any sort of wind. It was just a distant black speck in the air when I let it fall. I thought I would never see it again. Luckily I knew the direction it went and found it two blocks away, in plain sight, on the ground between two buildings. It had hit concrete from 50+ feet and nothing important had broken. To this day it is still fully functional, though I don't fly it outdoors in town anymore. Once was enough, thanks.

Now I see horror stories of $1000 and $3000 quadcopters flying away and getting lost, and it really puts things into perspective.