Installation / mounting help

mellman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, new here. I've been lurking/reading a lot and am not getting the results I want with a search so I thought i'd register and post.

I am getting ready to purchase and install some cameras around my home. There have been some car break ins (well, neighbors leaving vehicles unlocked) lately and I'd like to get my home a little more secure before they escalate their crime.

I am likely going with Dahua (I like their varifocal) or Hikvision - however I'm trying out some reolink cameras (fixed focal and a varifocal) that in my limited indoor testing look pretty great!

My question(s): When mounting a camera under a soffit, are you screwing into the joist or do I need to install a backing behind the camera.

I'm concerned that my soffit is 2 stores up and i'll need to get longer focal length cameras to capture appropriate details. I'm trying to avoid installing into the siding, as it isn't as shielded from the elements and it just looks weird/bad.

My garage soffit is 8-9 ft off the ground, is this high enough to not worry about vandals? I'd like to install two cameras on either side of the garage door (covering different angles) I'm probably looking at 3-4 cameras on the front, and 2-3 covering the rear of the home, there will be a 7ft fence around the entire backyard.

Cheers

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm a newbie too, setting up my first system. To get an idea how things look, I mounted a camera on the end of a 8 foot 2x4, and I propped up the 2x4 against walls where I am thinking of putting cameras.
At 8 feet high, if the bad guy looks down, you may not get a good image of his face. By the front door, I'm thinking about a door bell cam, or maybe one that looks like a motion detector, so I can put it lower without looking funny. I'll also have something in the garage, and another one aimed at the side gate, so all entrances will be covered. Something to think about.

I used Monoprice in wall rated ethernet cable, jacks and their tool. Once I got the hang of it, its pretty easy to terminate jacks. I am using both 23 gauge solid, and 24 gauge stranded wire. 23 is for long runs. 24 is easier to work with, and will hold up better if you move it around. To test a cable, I just plug it in, it either works or doesn't. Only my first cable didn't work, because I didn't find and read the online instructions lol.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When mounting within reach of anyone with a bat, stick or whatever use turret domes. If someone wants to whack or spray the camera then they just are. Chances of the Turret camera surviving are higher than a bullet camera. Your mounting options are under the soffit or run emt around the perimeter of your home and mount your cameras to boxes.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is an image of an EMT run I did on a 6 Camera System on a two story house
Camera EMT Run.jpg