Installation project, your advice requested!

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Let me first say that while I have experience messing with security systems that have already been installed and installing systems in my own house, I have zero experience in doing from-the-ground-up installations for other people. So I'm really needing assistance to make sure I've covered all my bases in doing an installation for a buddy of mine.

Here's what all I'm getting him:

- 16 Channel HD-TVI DVR
- 10 HD-TVI 1080p Cameras
- 18 Channel 12VDC/10Amp Power Supply Box
- 1000ft Roll of Siamese Cable
- Female Power Connectors for Siamese Cable
- Twist on Male BNC Connector
- RG59 Crimping Tool and Cable Stripper (do I even need crimp tool since connectors are twist on?)

Is there anything else that needs to be in the list that I've missed because last thing I want to happen is be up there doing this stuff and it come to a grinding halt because I'm lacking something.

I really appreciate any feedback on this.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my opinion you absolutely should scrap the HD-TVI and purchase networked IP cameras and NVR and install using Cat5e or Cat6 cable. There will be a learning curve but at the end of the project you will have joined the march into the future.

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I appreciate your opinion, but that's not the advice I was asking for. The budget is low, about $2,500 and IP cameras are way outside that budget.

But also, there's nothing wrong with HD-TVI. While it's not IP, I looks just as good as IP for a fraction of the cost.

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there anything else that needs to be in the list that I've missed because last thing I want to happen is be up there doing this stuff and it come to a grinding halt because I'm lacking something.
Way to nitpick my request for feedback haha.

No the money is not spent, I'm trying to quote him a price within the budget which is about $2,500 total, and that's including my charge for labor of $500.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Way to nitpick my request for feedback haha.

No the money is not spent, I'm trying to quote him a price within the budget which is about $2,500 total, and that's including my charge for labor of $500.
He is making a good point. At the very least you should run ethernet and use TVI rated baluns so ip can be adapted later without rerunning cable.
http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-3TB-HDD,-8-4MP-Cameras-with-100'-Night-Vision.product.100213199.html
Even adding two more cams you are way under 2000. Plus you have a lifetime return policy.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not nitpicking anything; if you want specific comments then refine your requirements better in your OP. You asked for feedback, I gave you some and you said that's not what I want to hear. Let's stop this now before it gets any more annoying. Alternatively, I'm willing to continue arguing about it if you're so inclined.

Including the cable pulls? I think your working cheap...he must be a good friend. So your hardware budget is $2,000.

...The budget is low, about $2,500 and IP cameras are way outside that budget...
  • $1250.00 10 IP 1080P cameras (should be obtainable for $125.00 each)
  • $750.00 very good good networked PoE NVR
  • $175.00 1000 foot spool of good solid copper Cate5e cable
  • $75.00 decent crimping tool and connectors
That's $2,250.00. I'm just guessing about the NVR but $750.00 ought to do it.

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Buddy, you're pulling hairs and nitpicking my request for feedback. I plainly asked for feedback on my list and if I was missing anything that should've been on the list. I didn't ask for opinions on an IP system.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Better yet, by two (2) of these and give him a 16 camera system with a backup (2nd) NVR...and a lifetime return policy...

http://www.costco.com/Swann-16-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-3TB-HDD,-8-3MP-Cameras-with-115'-Night-Vision.product.100144944.html

I believe those cameras are Hikvision Western Region 2032's. Chances are the NVR only has 8-port PoEso you'd probably have to purchase a 4-port PoE switch.

Or buy only one system, and two (3) Western Region from @RyanODan for $300.00 total. Add in the $50.00 PoE switch and your hardware cost is only $1,499.99 for a 10 camera system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Buddy, you're pulling hairs and nitpicking my request for feedback. I plainly asked for feedback on my list and if I was missing anything that should've been on the list. I didn't ask for opinions on an IP system.
OK. Sorry to waste your time. Good luck with your project.

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Q2U, not sure why @inforlonghaul came to the forum he seems to have the answers himself.. with that said I will give it a try

I just ordered 9 IP Cams and a 16ch NVR all IP based for around $1600, ordered a 4tb purple drive from amazon and I have under 2k in all the IP gear I need, if your budget is $2500 then you should be able to get all IP equipment and future proof your clients setup

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope OP didnt pay 2k for those tvi cameras and nvr...you can get all that for well under 1000...

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Q2U, not sure why @inforlonghaul came to the forum he seems to have the answers himself.. with that said I will give it a try

I just ordered 9 IP Cams and a 16ch NVR all IP based for around $1600, ordered a 4tb purple drive from amazon and I have under 2k in all the IP gear I need, if your budget is $2500 then you should be able to get all IP equipment and future proof your clients setup
Again, this does not help me any nor provide any advice to my original request for assistance.

Where did I say I had all the answers myself? I obviously came here looking for assistance in checking to see if there was anything I left off my list to buy to complete my installation.

Instead, I come here and get told my HD-TVI proposal is trash and to go with IP, from 3 different people while all still failing to answer my original question "was there anything on my list of items that I needed to add" because I didn't want to get caught on the job without something and then be delayed.

Quit trying to force an IP system on somebody who doesn't want it. Thank you.

spyfly81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think you are missing your NVR and IP Cameras other then that it appears you have everything you need

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Again, this does not help me any nor provide any advice to my original request for assistance.

Where did I say I had all the answers myself? I obviously came here looking for assistance in checking to see if there was anything I left off my list to buy to complete my installation.

Instead, I come here and get told my HD-TVI proposal is trash and to go with IP, from 3 different people while all still failing to answer my original question "was there anything on my list of items that I needed to add" because I didn't want to get caught on the job without something and then be delayed.

Quit trying to force an IP system on somebody who doesn't want it. Thank you.
We are trying to help you. You are doing the end user a disservice if you fail to advise them that ip is available and based on your number for the same cost or less. TVI is a transitional technology best used for existing coax upgrades when its not feasible to run new cable. There are many advantages to ip that makes installing analog a poor choice. We are not trying to attack you.

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I hope OP didnt pay 2k for those tvi cameras and nvr...you can get all that for well under 1000...
A 16 channel DVR with 3 TB is $400 and 10 1080p cameras is $800 = $1,200 which is a reasonably competitive price.

I'm not a business, so I don't have access to companies like ADIGlobal where I can buy cameras at almost wholesale price. I have to buy at consumer price. I was able to buy those $80 1080p cameras for $50 bucks each, but that was a one time thing for my house.

Reactions: Git

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A 16 channel DVR with 3 TB is $400 and 10 1080p cameras is $800 = $1,200 which is a reasonably competitive price.

I'm not a business, so I don't have access to companies like ADIGlobal where I can buy cameras at almost wholesale price. I have to buy at consumer price. I was able to buy those $80 1080p cameras for $50 bucks each, but that was a one time thing for my house.
Have you contacted milkisbad on this forum?
The costco IP system i linked to earlier is only 1300 as well.

inforlonghaul

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you contacted milkisbad on this forum?
The costco IP system i linked to earlier is only 1300 as well.
No, I have not. I don't come here often so I'm not familiar with the people here or who to talk to.

The Costco system I'm assuming you're referring to is Swann right? I'm not a fan of Swann, too consumer grade for my liking. Swann is what I used when I first set up my house with security cameras. I now prefer my Hikvisions whenever possible.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No, I have not. I don't come here often so I'm not familiar with the people here or who to talk to.

The Costco system I'm assuming you're referring to is Swann right? I'm not a fan of Swann, too consumer grade for my liking. Swann is what I used when I first set up my house with security cameras. I now prefer my Hikvisions whenever possible.
Look up his thread. He sells TVI cameras.
For the record, swann is mostly rebranded hikvision. Its exactly the same as hikvision.
The ip system i linked to is rebranded dahua. Also a very good reliable brand. You really cannot beat costco lifetime returns :)