installed by a alarm comany

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Few days ago. I got a call from a friend. her restaurant's cameras is half way finish and the guy never come back. she did paid in full. here is the spec of the system LTS 3MP 8ch recorder and 2 tb hard drive. 1080p dome cameras. and a set of Z wave wireless alarm. total 1600. and that sucker charge 54.99 a month. here is the work he done. Enjoy. this company based in Pittsburg.it took my 2 hrs to redo the work. It was raing outside. will be next time. If you are the member here and see the work. please give her some money back and cancel the contract.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like a 4 year old system by the dust on the NVR and hardware.
You're right...I didn't see that the first go around. It's something he had on the shelf for quite some time or is even used, pulled out of another place when the first purchaser quit paying because of issues!

OK, it's not a crime to be too young to remember the days when installing a BNC was a lot more difficult, what with 3 pieces involved and as many crimps but there's NO excuse to screw-up installing a twist-on connector by cutting through and removing 99% of the shield, the connector was gripping mostly just white dielectric insulator. For cryin' out loud if you don't know how there's Youtube videos that can show you...but you have to want to do it right...and it's not that difficult. I can only try to imagine what it would look like if he had installed some RJ-45 males and/or female keystone jacks using CAT-6

As my dad would say...."That moron couldn't pour pee out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel." :mad:

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Rule number one, don't ever pay in full in advance. If they insist, they are a scam. Rule number two, don't keep paying the scamsters! Contract or no contract. I would rip out that old analog crap and start completely over.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The installer broke the contract by not completing the work. Sue his ass in small claims court for a refund.
She should have called the police for being ripped off.
Unfortunately, small claims court judgements are about as worthless as the contract she signed. Small claims cannot force a person to pay, just tell them that they owe the person money, with No repercussions. I'm sure you have heard of the getting blood out of a turnip bit.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Small claims cannot force a person to pay, just tell them that they owe the person money, with No repercussions.
Don't you have the equivalent of Bailiffs (England), Sheriff Officers (Scotland) that the court judgement empowers to carry out various forms of enforcement?
Seize bank accounts, seize and sell goods etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, small claims court judgements are about as worthless as the contract she signed. Small claims cannot force a person to pay, just tell them that they owe the person money, with No repercussions. I'm sure you have heard of the getting blood out of a turnip bit.
As alastair pointed out, you are incorrect. You can levy bank accounts, seize assets and garnish wages. The judgement debtor additional required to answer an information subpoena disclosing all assets under the penalty of perjury. Failure to do so will result in arrest until those disclosures are made.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As alastair pointed out, you are incorrect. You can levy bank accounts, seize assets and garnish wages. The judgement debtor additional required to answer an information subpoena disclosing all assets under the penalty of perjury. Failure to do so will result in arrest until those disclosures are made.
Yes, it sounds so easy, but it is NOT. I speak from experience filing a small claims in FL. I spent $$ to sue an owner of a consignment store who stole my items and would not return them. Spent a lot of time with arbitration, which did not work out, and ended up getting fucked in the end. My lesson learned is small claims is not worth it. Look at the civil case with the Brown family and OJ Simpson. They did not get crap. If the thief, scamster, murderer does not want to pay, your screwed. Oh yes, BTW, You have to find the person yourself to serve a summons. You pay the police to serve a subponea 3x, if the person is not there when the police show up, that is it.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it sounds so easy, but it is NOT. I speak from experience filing a small claims in FL. I spent $$ to sue an owner of a consignment store who stole my items and would not return them. Spent a lot of time with arbitration, which did not work out, and ended up getting fucked in the end. My lesson learned is small claims is not worth it. Look at the civil case with the Brown family and OJ Simpson. They did not get crap. If the thief, scamster, murderer does not want to pay, your screwed.
It is very easy. You have no experience but one anecdotal one. In this instance, there is not only an installer but a corporation who has a monthly recurring income from all those alarm contracts - there are bank accounts and assets. Millions of folks file small claims all day long and if you know how to read and follow directions you will be just fine.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, it sounds so easy, but it is NOT. I speak from experience filing a small claims in FL. I spent $$ to sue an owner of a consignment store who stole my items and would not return them. Spent a lot of time with arbitration, which did not work out, and ended up getting fucked in the end. My lesson learned is small claims is not worth it. Look at the civil case with the Brown family and OJ Simpson. They did not get crap. If the thief, scamster, murderer does not want to pay, your screwed. Oh yes, BTW, You have to find the person yourself to serve a summons. You pay the police to serve a subponea 3x, if the person is not there when the police show up, that is it.
Yeah, well that's Florida, the state that can't run an election without screwing it up every-time. Hanging chads anyone? ;)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is why I started to do more DIY jobs... if I can learn to do a better job from watching youtube videos, there are some whose work ethics are lacking.