Installing ethernet wire from 14-foot eaves soffit to 8-foot camera height

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Request input on possible ways to solve a problem depicted in attached photo.
Existing ethernet wire runs are to eaves soffits which are are 14 feet from ground level.
The top of the garage door trim is around 8 feet 9 inches, to give a sense of scale.
I realize that cameras have to be at approximately the level of the lighting fixture in the photo.
All wired locations are similar conditions – ethernet wire at 14-foot soffit near a corner. The corner in the photo is the only one where there is a lighting fixture, which I will probably have to remove.
– How to install wire from soffit to around six feet below to camera location ?
– How to install/mount camera?
Let's assume surface mounted cable or conduit from soffit junction box, to a suitable camera mounting box.
I have a forum favorite T5442T-ZE varifocal at hand and am thinking of initial cameras being fixed focal length T544T’s, all turrets.
Thanks.

Garage_eaves_cameras.jpg

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
If you don't have access to the wall cavity to drop a wire down it, then the next easiest method is to pull off that trim on the end of the wall and put the wire behind it. You might have to cut a grove in the trim, but hopefully there is enough space to allow for that. Depending on where you want to mount the camera, hopefully you can use a fiberglass rod to create a tunnel over to the garage door to prevent you from having to remove any siding, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if you have to remove a couple of short pieces between the corner and the garage door.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your input.
Surface install of cable or conduit into a suitable mounting box would be preferable.
A camera mouning box could perhaps be installed on the vertical corner board.
Demolishing the corner board to get below it, or sections of siding to get below it, would create a cascade of repairs.
Also, the inside is insulated, sheetrocked and painted, so access will require demolishing.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Hard to tell with yours but you might not have to demolish or remove anything. I have heavy old aluminum siding on parts of the house with some relatively thick-gauge formed corner trim and even with that I was able to separate/lift things enough to press the cable under the edge of the trim in most cases.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for your input.
Surface install of cable or conduit into a suitable mounting box would be preferable.
A camera mouning box could perhaps be installed on the vertical corner board.
Demolishing the corner board to get below it, or sections of siding to get below it, would create a cascade of repairs.
Also, the inside is insulated, sheetrocked and painted, so access will require demolishing.
Not sure if your name ("builder") is accurate or not. Eitherway, you know the construction of your house better than I do from looking at a picture, but that trim piece shouldn't be hard to remove. It's obviously going to be nailed on, but you shouldn't have to destroy the trim to get it off. Same thing for the siding.... Even if it is HardiPlank style siding.

Given that the interior walls are finished, it will be harder to run cable than unfinished space, but having to cutting even a couple access holes (each about the size of an outlet box) in the interior drywall to have access to run cabling isn't the end of the world and is probably easier to repair than anything else. Of course it will take some specialized tools as well (like a long flexible drill bit, fiber glass pull rods and/or magnetic wiring pulling system, etc, etc). But this might be the easiest method depending on the exterior siding type.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hard to tell with yours but you might not have to demolish or remove anything. I have heavy old aluminum siding on parts of the house with some relatively thick-gauge formed corner trim and even with that I was able to separate/lift things enough to press the cable under the edge of the trim in most cases.
No flex in the material. Between rigidity, nails, and caulking, movement is not possible. Effectively it is like masonry.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure if your name ("builder") is accurate or not. Eitherway, you know the construction of your house better than I do from looking at a picture, but that trim piece shouldn't be hard to remove. It's obviously going to be nailed on, but you shouldn't have to destroy the trim to get it off. Same thing for the siding.... Even if it is HardiPlank style siding.

Given that the interior walls are finished, it will be harder to run cable than unfinished space, but having to cutting even a couple access holes (each about the size of an outlet box) in the interior drywall to have access to run cabling isn't the end of the world and is probably easier to repair than anything else. Of course it will take some specialized tools as well (like a long flexible drill bit, fiber glass pull rods and/or magnetic wiring pulling system, etc, etc). But this might be the easiest method depending on the exterior siding type.
Thank you for your ideas.

Reaction score
If you are married to the use of conduit, then I am not sure what you are asking?

I guess trying to run the conduit (or outdoor rated ethernet cable) as close to or behind the drain pipe would be the best idea. I am not a fan of uglying up with conduit the outside of such a nice looking home.

As far as placing the cam, I would mount it below the light fixture. That would get it about face height. But I would use a test rig to first check the FOV, both day and night.

Test Rig.JPG

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are married to the use of conduit, then I am not sure what you are asking?

I guess trying to run the conduit (or outdoor rated ethernet cable) as close to or behind the drain pipe would be the best idea. I am not a fan of uglying up with conduit the outside of such a nice looking home.

As far as placing the cam, I would mount it below the light fixture. That would get it about face height. But I would use a test rig to first check the FOV, both day and night.

View attachment 154447
A long ethernet patch cable I had ordered for my test rig arrived. It is exterior rated and has the heft of RG6 coax cable. So far it is looking like it is what I might end up using. Have to figure out what wiring clips to use. At each location, will try to tuck the cable along existing elements such as gutter downspouts. I don't know how long the exterior rated ethernet patch cable will hold up in direct sunlight. Even if I get say 5 years out of it, replacing patch cables as needed won't be too bad.
Test rig for FOV is coming next, great idea I picked up here. Rigging up for around 8 feet is simpler than for 14 feet, so already heading in the right direction/height.
I made a quick and dirty test bench for inside window sill to first get cameras operational and get a feel for them. The videos from it look about right, and when I measure the height from outside, turns out it is 7 feet 4 inches above ground level.

Attachments

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is above the garage?
That's a typical corner showing relative heights, above and behind varies from location to location, of which there are several.

Reaction score
That's a typical corner showing relative heights, above and behind varies from location to location, of which there are several.
Not what I meant--- Literally what is above the garage there? another bedroom? storage space? attic? what is there?

If you can access that spot where the ethernet cable is now, why not run it down the wall INSIDE the garage?

Sorry if I am thinking of things the nature of your house construction has already ruled out... If you can get 1 line into the garage, you can probably get 5 or 6 lines into the garage and go from there. In my house, I came up from the basement into the attic with about 12~15 different cable runs. Some go to my soffit's, and the rest extend across the house attic and into the attic space above the garage. Most of the garage lines are as yet unused, but now they are somewhat easily put into service when I want them.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
A long ethernet patch cable I had ordered for my test rig arrived. It is exterior rated and has the heft of RG6 coax cable. So far it is looking like it is what I might end up using...
Did you get direct burial cable? Several different types of cable are sold as "outdoor rated." You don't really need the direct burial stuff with the heavy double jacket. It will work fine but will be kind of a pain to deal with. You can get regular cable that has a UV-resistant jacket that will be fine in direct sun for a long time and easier to manage and probably less expensive too.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not what I meant--- Literally what is above the garage there? another bedroom? storage space? attic? what is there?

If you can access that spot where the ethernet cable is now, why not run it down the wall INSIDE the garage?

Sorry if I am thinking of things the nature of your house construction has already ruled out... If you can get 1 line into the garage, you can probably get 5 or 6 lines into the garage and go from there. In my house, I came up from the basement into the attic with about 12~15 different cable runs. Some go to my soffit's, and the rest extend across the house attic and into the attic space above the garage. Most of the garage lines are as yet unused, but now they are somewhat easily put into service when I want them.
I appreciate that you are sharing your thinking.
Some years ago when I was building this house I knew enough to ask my electrical sub to run me quite a few ethernet runs in the house.
I guessed that about half would get used lightly or not at all, and at many places I would wish I had run more, both of which are holding true so far.
For cameras, if I had known better, I would have had more runs and at a more suitable height.
Still, am glad I have what I have, which beats no ethernet runs.
By way of clarification, I do have ethernet at the eaves at all locations, just too high.
In asking here now, I am trying to not miss solutions that are obvious to others.

All areas behind camera corners are finished areas (painted drywall, tile, carpeting, wood flooring, etc.).
At that garage corner, there is an area behind a knee wall (short wall boxing off an area where a sloping roof meets the floor).
At other camera corners, different conditions.
If a person is determined, it is always possible to cut holes (including person-sized ones) and go through walls.
It is really a matter or proportionality.
There is always collateral damage when things are taken apart, as well as surprises.
Take for instance the wall at the garage - likely there is fire-stop blocking that will be in the way.
So I am leaning towards an external cable install, and trying to figure out the best way to do so.

Last edited:

STEdgar

n3wb
Reaction score
Request input on possible ways to solve a problem depicted in attached photo.
Existing ethernet wire runs are to eaves soffits which are are 14 feet from ground level.
The top of the garage door trim is around 8 feet 9 inches, to give a sense of scale.
I realize that cameras have to be at approximately the level of the lighting fixture in the photo.
All wired locations are similar conditions – ethernet wire at 14-foot soffit near a corner. The corner in the photo is the only one where there is a lighting fixture, which I will probably have to remove.
– How to install wire from soffit to around six feet below to camera location ?
– How to install/mount camera?
Let's assume surface mounted cable or conduit from soffit junction box, to a suitable camera mounting box.
I have a forum favorite T5442T-ZE varifocal at hand and am thinking of initial cameras being fixed focal length T544T’s, all turrets.
Thanks.

View attachment 154394
Try using this Legrand Wiremold Non-Metallic PVC Raceway 5 ft. Wire Channel, White NMW1 - The Home Depot to move the camera and wire to a new location. Finish paint after installation.

Reaction score
What I have done is I did manage to get one line into the garage, but I installed a POE switch in there. It feeds a few cams and goes back to the IT closet and other switches.
I could probably have done that too-- but I was a bit gunshy of running a switch in the garage with the temp extremes-- especially in summer.

...snip...
Take for instance the wall at the garage - likely there is fire-stop blocking that will be in the way.
So I am leaning towards an external cable install, and trying to figure out the best way to do so.
Firestop meaning horizontal 2x4 or 2x6 between vertical studs? That wouldn't matter--- just bring it out of the ceiling of the garage and down the wall INSIDE the garage. ;) Tack it to the wall, or put it in conduit if you want. It would beat the heck of of conduit running down the exterior of the front of the house. Of course--- that's if you can get to that line in a reasonable way. I might be tempted to cut that hole and get to that line to keep from putting some ugly conduit in front--- but your comments about collateral damage and surprises is absolutely true.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you get direct burial cable? Several different types of cable are sold as "outdoor rated." You don't really need the direct burial stuff with the heavy double jacket. It will work fine but will be kind of a pain to deal with. You can get regular cable that has a UV-resistant jacket that will be fine in direct sun for a long time and easier to manage and probably less expensive too.
It is outdoor rated, but not direct burial. As you said, the jacket is a bit heavier and I'm hoping it will be UV resistant, though time will tell how it holds up over time.
Aside: PFB mount just arrived, your input in other thread "Dahua turret mount comparison? " was timely and helpful, thanks. Will try out the PFB and order more as appropriate.

Last edited:

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
By way of clarification - ethernet cable is already at soffit, in a junction box adjacent to the box the twin-head light fixture is on.
This is a typical condition around the house.
I am trying to go down vertically around six feet, and prefer to run cable outside, rather than conduit or molding that will draw the eye to itself.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I could probably have done that too-- but I was a bit gunshy of running a switch in the garage with the temp extremes-- especially in summer.

Firestop meaning horizontal 2x4 or 2x6 between vertical studs? That wouldn't matter--- just bring it out of the ceiling of the garage and down the wall INSIDE the garage. ;) Tack it to the wall, or put it in conduit if you want. It would beat the heck of of conduit running down the exterior of the front of the house. Of course--- that's if you can get to that line in a reasonable way. I might be tempted to cut that hole and get to that line to keep from putting some ugly conduit in front--- but your comments about collateral damage and surprises is absolutely true.
Right now the focus is to get cameras operational, later, if desired I could replace the exterior cable with nifty in-wall or interior solutions.