Installing First IP Cam - Need Some Hand Holding

wsume99

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing my first IP camera, an IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. I'm following the cliff notes Dahua Camera Initial Setup section as closely as I can. I was able to initialize the camera and configure the static IP for my network. I'm pretty sure I have something messed up on the network configuration but I can't figure it out. For steps 3-5 in the guide I had the camera connected directly to my NIC with a POE injector providing power. Everything worked flawlessly. After saving the network settings I unplugged from the POE injector and connected the camera to my Ubiquiti POE switch. According to the switch interface the camera is connected with an IP of 10.10.6.110 which is what I assigned it. Note, I also added the camera's MAC to the static IP map table in my router with the same IP as I entered in the camera interface. I also plugged my PC into the same switch and it is showing an address of 10.10.6.100 which I also assigned via the router static map table. The problem is I cannot connect directly to the camera at 10.10.6.110 thru the web browser. I'm not sure where to go now. I should be able to connect to the camera but I cannot.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing my first IP camera, an IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. I'm following the cliff notes Dahua Camera Initial Setup section as closely as I can. I was able to initialize the camera and configure the static IP for my network. I'm pretty sure I have something messed up on the network configuration but I can't figure it out. For steps 3-5 in the guide I had the camera connected directly to my NIC with a POE injector providing power. Everything worked flawlessly. After saving the network settings I unplugged from the POE injector and connected the camera to my Ubiquiti POE switch. According to the switch interface the camera is connected with an IP of 10.10.6.110 which is what I assigned it. Note, I also added the camera's MAC to the static IP map table in my router with the same IP as I entered in the camera interface. I also plugged my PC into the same switch and it is showing an address of 10.10.6.110 which I also assigned via the router static map table. The problem is I cannot connect directly to the camera at 10.10.6.110 thru the web browser. I'm not sure where to go now. I should be able to connect to the camera but I cannot.
Hi @wsume99

Ubiquiti POE switch - is the switch successfully powering up the camera?

wsume99

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @wsume99

Ubiquiti POE switch - is the switch successfully powering up the camera?
On the UniFi interface it is showing that the port is active at 10/100 and drawing 2.51W. What other way can I check the camera is properly powered?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
the camera is connected with an IP of 10.10.6.110 which is what I assigned it. Note, I also added the camera's MAC to the static IP map table in my router with the same IP as I entered in the camera interface. I also plugged my PC into the same switch and it is showing an address of 10.10.6.110 which I also assigned via the router static map table.
Not a networking expert, but shouldnt those be different?

wsume99

n3wb
Reaction score
Not a networking expert, but shouldnt those be different?
Sorry, the PC's IP address is 10.10.6.100 not 10.10.6.110 which would be the same as the camera. Typo on my part. I corrected the original post. Thanks for pointing that out.

wsume99

n3wb
Reaction score
Connected the camera directly to my PC and it responded to 192.168.1.108. Apparently it didn't accept my IP settings.

When I try to save it is flashing a message about the gateway not matching my IP address. The cliff notes say to set a false gateway outside the DHCP range. The DHCP range is 10.10.6.2-10.10.6.99 so I can use 10.10.6.200?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Dahua Setup information was created a long time ago, and now the procedure is different. For example, they now force you to change the password upon first login to the Camera.

I think you actually need to use Dahua’s “Config Tool” now because I’m not sure you can go directly to the web interface anymore? That may be wrong, but I find the Config Tool easier, as now it will identify if the camera hasn’t been “initialized”, which I believe also prevents logging in directly from the web interface.

I have had it happen to me where the static IP address did not stick and I had to reset the camera and start over but then it worked.

Last, if you are using VLANs in UniFi, you need to set the port on the switch for that specific VLAN to be able to connect directly to the camera.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I setup some new Dahua 2231 cameras in December, and did so through the camera web interface, not the config tool.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I should’ve clarified that I don’t use the 192.168.1.X IP address range, so that could be a reason why I find it easier to use the config tool. That said, I don’t set up cameras that often.

If I had thought about it the last time, I would’ve closely monitored the procedure and tried different methods in order to update that section of the cliff notes but alas I did not.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you don’t want to access the cameras directly from your LAN then just leave the gateway blank.

wsume99

n3wb
Reaction score
The Dahua Setup information was created a long time ago, and now the procedure is different. For example, they now force you to change the password upon first login to the Camera.

I think you actually need to use Dahua’s “Config Tool” now because I’m not sure you can go directly to the web interface anymore? That may be wrong, but I find the Config Tool easier, as now it will identify if the camera hasn’t been “initialized”, which I believe also prevents logging in directly from the web interface.

I have had it happen to me where the static IP address did not stick and I had to reset the camera and start over but then it worked.

Last, if you are using VLANs in UniFi, you need to set the port on the switch for that specific VLAN to be able to connect directly to the camera.

I hope this helps.

Mark

I was connecting directly to the camera and it did force me to change the password as you said. Slightly different than the cliff notes but not so far off I couldn't figure it out. The issue was all my fault. I was giving it a bad gateway address and it wasn't accepting the IP settings so the camera was still at 192.168.1.108.

I also don't use the 192.168.X.X IP range as well but I had a spare NIC in my BI machine so I just configured it with a static IP of 192.168.1.100 and connected the camera directly to it. Worked perfectly.

I have the camera configured and connected to my UniFi switch and communicating over the VLAN to my BI machine. Next up is firewall settings. I mounted the camera in my basement just so I can get everything working then I'll mount it outside. Its cold as hell now anyways so I'm not in a big hurry to work outside.

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey, have a similar set up, but I have ubiquiti everything.
I recently obtained a USG, 3 AP Pro's, 48/500w Switch.
I am a bit of a n00b when it comes to ip cams and such, but have tinkered with them.

I have about 7 x 2mp of the Annke hikvision rebrand cubes, I have 3 dahua 5231ze for the outside, and looking to get either a mini ptz or the dual lens dahua (or both).

I recently moved into a new place, about a month ago, and looking to reset everything up with the new network hardware listed above from Ubiquiti.

I also have a Synology DSM running Surveillance Station with a ton of licenses on it and 12 x 10TB drives for 24 hour recording, so I will be using that instead of BI or NVR.

What do I need to know about setting up IP cams with the exception of making sure that UPNP is disabled and no ports are forwarded to the cameras?
What else is good to know? I read that a VLAN would be recommended, but have no knowledge on how to set that up properly in order for me to still be able to see the cams within the home or via mobile phone + vpn app.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can use either the Configtool, or if your computer is on the same subnet as the cam, you can directly log into the default IP address of any new Dahua cam for initial setup.
Default IP being, 192.168.1.108
The configtool, can also find the camera even if your computer is not on the same subnet as the cam.
Read the help in the configtool program.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, have a similar set up, but I have ubiquiti everything.
I recently obtained a USG, 3 AP Pro's, 48/500w Switch.
I am a bit of a n00b when it comes to ip cams and such, but have tinkered with them.

I have about 7 x 2mp of the Annke hikvision rebrand cubes, I have 3 dahua 5231ze for the outside, and looking to get either a mini ptz or the dual lens dahua (or both).

I recently moved into a new place, about a month ago, and looking to reset everything up with the new network hardware listed above from Ubiquiti.

I also have a Synology DSM running Surveillance Station with a ton of licenses on it and 12 x 10TB drives for 24 hour recording, so I will be using that instead of BI or NVR.

What do I need to know about setting up IP cams with the exception of making sure that UPNP is disabled and no ports are forwarded to the cameras?
What else is good to know? I read that a VLAN would be recommended, but have no knowledge on how to set that up properly in order for me to still be able to see the cams within the home or via mobile phone + vpn app.
How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk
Read other info in the Wiki as well.