Integrate Live stream feed into presentations?

figge4

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!

I've tried to insert a livestream from a IP camera directly into Microsoft Powerpoint, with no luck.

Seems there is a (very expensive) plugin that solves the issue, by the name PresentationPoint VideoPoint. With this plugin, you can add a window anywhere and see the feed from a webcam or IP camera.

Is there an alternative to Powerpoint that is affordable, that can do this in a cheaper way?

Of course, an alternative is via a CVM software - to create a view setup with the video in one corner, and have the rest of the slots display static images or webpages for example. But that feels like a time-consuming way to achive this, and also not so easy to edit for different "slides" etc if you want to use this as a presentation.

So... pleeeese give me your best tips 'n trix around this issue? :-D

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is a way but I will warn that it is buggy and has made PowerPoint crash on multiple occasions when I am saving during editing. Occasionally it has crashed while presenting too.

I'm currently putting together a guide on this.
Hint: It involves enabling developer mode in PowerPoint and adding VLC ActiveX player.

Last edited:

figge4

n3wb
Reaction score
That would be great, thank you!
I can impossibly be the first one in history (at least second one then... ;-D) to encounter this need.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have also found how to show a webcam live in PowerPoint.

Instead of an RTSP stream in the 'MRL' field, insert: dshow:/ :dshow-vdev=OBS-Camera :dshow-adev= :live-caching=300.
OBS-Camera was supposed to be my example here (from OBS virtual camera), however it showed my default USB camera instead. There might be something more to this.
dshow:/ seems to be the MRL of a capture device. There is plenty of ':dshow' options, like fps, aspect ratio, audio, audio sampling.
I'd visit this another time or someone else can chime in.

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have also found how to show a webcam live in PowerPoint.

Instead of an RTSP stream in the 'MRL' field, insert: dshow:/ :dshow-vdev=OBS-Camera :dshow-adev= :live-caching=300.
OBS-Camera was supposed to be my example here (from OBS virtual camera), however it showed my default USB camera instead. There might be something more to this.
dshow:/ seems to be the MRL of a capture device. There is plenty of ':dshow' options, like fps, aspect ratio, audio, audio sampling.
I'd visit this another time or someone else can chime in.
On this.... it looks like VLC wouldn't be needed for much longer!

Office look to have native support for a webcam soon.

Which means you could use OBS to capture the RTSP stream of the cctv camera, then output with OBS-virtual cam into PowerPoint.
That sounds like a far better and stable way to insert a live camera into a slideshow!

Reaction score
If you want to insert a live stream into Microsoft Powerpoint, the best way to do it is with the PresentationPoint VideoPoint plugin. This plugin will allow you to add a window anywhere and see the feed from a webcam or IP camera. You might also consider using the free presentation software Google Slides. With Google Slides, you can easily insert a video feed from an IP camera by going to Insert > Video > By URL. Finally, I highly recommend Okslides. I think it's a decent alternative. Cheers!

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The best way to do it is with the PresentationPoint VideoPoint plugin.
But it's paid software...
The original poster already mentioned about this software but is not committed to the price.

Good news is that Microsoft Powerpoint is getting options to have live video natively, so this VLC option and Presentation Point won't be needed.

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Depending on your o365 plan you could use Microsoft Stream and then add it as online source in to your powerpoint.