Intel i5 6500 and number of cameras

disbjohn

n3wb
Reaction score
About How many cameras can an i5 6500 rig handle assuming cameras are 3mp and recording direct to disc?

Thanks in advance

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm doing 24 3-4 MP cameras on a i5-3570k (running at stock speeds). Cameras are motion activated and are not recording 24/7. CPU use with this setup is a constant ~46-50%. You should be able to get away with similar using an i5-6500.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm doing 24 3-4 MP cameras on a i5-3570k (running at stock speeds). Cameras are motion activated and are not recording 24/7. CPU use with this setup is a constant ~46-50%. You should be able to get away with similar using an i5-6500.
Do you have the console open? What are your frame rates?

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BI runs as a service with console closed at all times. With console open, frame rates are 4 or 5 fps (can't remember). Cams cap at 10 fps. All direct to disc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BI runs as a service with console closed at all times. With console open, frame rates are 4 or 5 fps (can't remember). Cams cap at 10 fps. All direct to disc.
That info is important as many users dont want 4-5fps and/or want to run with console open....

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That info is important as many users dont want 4-5fps and/or want to run with console open....
Fair point, but I find the Blue Iris iOS app and UI2 through any web browser are more convenient for my needs.

Strangely, I see a fair number of people recommend not to use the console, and to set the console FPS low to reduce CPU overhead. I figured that's what makes Blue Iris so great - that there are many ways to view your streams that don't involve watching the computer capping the video.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fair point, but I find the Blue Iris iOS app and UI2 through any web browser are more convenient for my needs.

Strangely, I see a fair number of people recommend not to use the console, and to set the console FPS low to reduce CPU overhead. I figured that's what makes Blue Iris so great - that there are many ways to view your streams that don't involve watching the computer capping the video.
yes, but i would venture to say that most folks use the live display, just as they would an NVR/DVR...I do this on all my BI systems but 1...

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just fired up an RDP session to the computer running BI and reconfigured it to do live display at 10 fps. CPU use bounced between 64-71% with 13-14 cameras recording all at once.

Then I exited RDP and fired up UI2. UI2 reports 57-64% use with the console open @ 10 fps.

Then I closed the console entirely, shut down RDP and just fired up UI2. 48% CPU use - much nicer!

I've wondered for a while how much better this machine would fare with an i7 instead of an i5. If I ever make the upgrade I'll post about it!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just fired up an RDP session to the computer running BI and reconfigured it to do live display at 10 fps. CPU use bounced between 64-71% with 13-14 cameras recording all at once.

Then I exited RDP and fired up UI2. UI2 reports 57-64% use with the console open @ 10 fps.

I've wondered for a while how much better this machine would fare with an i7 instead of an i5. If I ever make the upgrade I'll post about it!
rdp wont provide the proper numbers..you need to hook a monitor up to it...did you go into each camera and change the fps from 4-5 to 10? if not then settings the live display to 10 doesn't do anything.

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
rdp wont provide the proper numbers..you need to hook a monitor up to it...did you go into each camera and change the fps from 4-5 to 10? if not then settings the live display to 10 doesn't do anything.
Leaving the console open at 10 fps, then closing RDP will allow UI2 to pull the correct CPU usage from Blue Iris directly. It is exactly as I reported above.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Leaving the console open at 10 fps, then closing RDP will allow UI2 to pull the correct CPU usage from Blue Iris directly. It is exactly as I reported above.
No..not if it's not actually displaying onto a physical screen...and of your cameras are set at 4fps then limiting live view does nothing..