Intel Sandy Bridge (2nd gen) i7-2600 and QuickSync question

Enrique

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hoping someone can clarify this for me...

I have a i7-2600k (Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz) Product Specifications)

plugged into an Asus P8P67 DELUXE motherboard (P8P67 DELUXE | Motherboards | ASUS USA) with the Intel P67 Express Chipset. Since there is no on-board graphics, I have a generic video card (I forget the specifics).

The confusion I am having is that the spec for the i7-2600k shows that it has Intel HD Graphics 3000 and that QuickSync video is supported but yet my MoBo doesn't have any video ports.

1) do you think this was just a design decision made by Asus to skip the video? [edit - google is your friend - yes P67 chipset doesn't allow for using internal graphics but does have other advantages such as SLI/Crossfire)]

and follow-up 2) do you think hardware acceleration would not work in my case even though the CPU seems to indicate it would? [edit - google is your friend - seems unfortunately QS won't work with P67 chipset]

[edit - leaving this post as reference for archiving and is anyone else is interested but I think my questions have been answered.]

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For processor features to work, both the processor and motherboard need to support it. In your case, there's a 0% chance you'll get QuickSync working, even if the processor supports it because the motherboard doesn't.

The 2600k is still a fantastic processor for running Blue Iris. I have a 3770 non-K running 26 1080P cameras with ~25% CPU use. I'd check Ebay to see if you can find any cheap z68 or z77 motherboards. These motherboards would have the added benefit of letting you overclock your processor which would allow you to handle even more.

Enrique

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, Yes, I did check eBay... People still want over $175 for a used Z68 MoBo. Since my current video needs aren't pushing the computer to its limits I'll just wait it out and try to update when needed. I can overclock now, but no QS.

This gets back to one of fenderman's pet subjects... it gets expensive to build a PC and much cheaper to buy a business class one complete with low level MoBo (who cares), decent CPU (most likely not overclockable, but who cares) and a legit OS license.

Reaction score
I just did this, had an old i7-2600K gaming rig to retire, saw that 2nd generation would have Quicksync support, decided to build Blue Iris server to replace an i7 laptop using this i7-2600K without the gaming graphics card and with some surveillance HDD.

Did some research and my stupid gaming motherboard didn't have onboard video support. I wouldn't have cared when I bought it originally because it would have shipped with an Nvidia gaming card. Found out I needed a completely different chipset, and cheapest used motherboard I could find cost me $60. Ended up "not worth" it in the end, could have just bought a used HP business desktop like fenderman always recommends, probably with 5th or 6th gen CPU AND valid Win10PRO license for the $230 I spent to reuse my "free" CPU and 16GB RAM.

So do your research, then go buy a used business PC with the appropriate specs through one of the refurb/factory direct/outlet places fenderman recommends in 50% of the threads. Sell your old CPU , motherboard and memory separately on eBay and pocket the profit.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just did this, had an old i7-2600K gaming rig to retire, saw that 2nd generation would have Quicksync support, decided to build Blue Iris server to replace an i7 laptop using this i7-2600K without the gaming graphics card and with some surveillance HDD.

Did some research and my stupid gaming motherboard didn't have onboard video support. I wouldn't have cared when I bought it originally because it would have shipped with an Nvidia gaming card. Found out I needed a completely different chipset, and cheapest used motherboard I could find cost me $60. Ended up "not worth" it in the end, could have just bought a used HP business desktop like fenderman always recommends, probably with 5th or 6th gen CPU AND valid Win10PRO license for the $230 I spent to reuse my "free" CPU and 16GB RAM.

So do your research, then go buy a used business PC with the appropriate specs through one of the refurb/factory direct/outlet places fenderman recommends in 50% of the threads. Sell your old CPU , motherboard and memory separately on eBay and pocket the profit.
also note that the 2nd gen processors only support HA for 1080p cams or less...

eluraamat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
also note that the 2nd gen processors only support HA for 1080p cams or less...
Sorry for bringing up such a old topic, but this 1080p limitation of 2nd gen processors. Are all 2nd gen processors limited to 1080p?
Some of them use intel 2000 and some 3000 graphics?
3gen 3570 using Graphics 2500.

thanks,